Correction: LBDO instead of SBDO yesterday at Spreckels Lake.

bitanangan

Hi Birders,
     Respected expert opinion has determined that the dowitcher I photographed yesterday was actually a LBDO and possibly the same bird reported by Aaron and David. Not sure what time Aaron found it yesterday, but it fled Spreckels about 11:25 AM. If seen well, the mostly grey, molting bird showed a distinct reddish alternate feather with a dark zig-zag on the shoulder. Given it’s unpleasant chase from Spreckels and finding more nourishing habitat elsewhere, it seems unlikely to return.
Russ Bright
SF

Aaron Maizlish

Russ et al,

I found the Dowitcher on the beach next to the old Coast Guard Pier/Snowy Plover enclosure around 4:30 yesterday, while walking with my wife Judith.   It was near the water and after only a few seconds flew overhead in the direction of the lagoon.  I didn’t have my camera and I didn’t get very close but it gave the general impression of a Long-billed. On our way out at 5pm we refound it at the west end of the lagoon, and the stature and downward probing was more LB than SB. 

Aaron

On Mar 7, 2021, at 5:14 PM, bitanangan <birdbright@...> wrote:

Hi Birders,
     Respected expert opinion has determined that the dowitcher I photographed yesterday was actually a LBDO and possibly the same bird reported by Aaron and David. Not sure what time Aaron found it yesterday, but it fled Spreckels about 11:25 AM. If seen well, the mostly grey, molting bird showed a distinct reddish alternate feather with a dark zig-zag on the shoulder. Given it’s unpleasant chase from Spreckels and finding more nourishing habitat elsewhere, it seems unlikely to return.
Russ Bright
SF