Correction: LBDO instead of SBDO yesterday at Spreckels Lake.

bitanangan

Hi Birders,
     Respected expert opinion has determined that the dowitcher I photographed yesterday was actually a LBDO and possibly the same bird reported by Aaron and David. Not sure what time Aaron found it yesterday, but it fled Spreckels about 11:25 AM. If seen well, the mostly grey, molting bird showed a distinct reddish alternate feather with a dark zig-zag on the shoulder. Given it’s unpleasant chase from Spreckels and finding more nourishing habitat elsewhere, it seems unlikely to return.
Russ Bright
SF

Aaron Maizlish

Russ et al,

I found the Dowitcher on the beach next to the old Coast Guard Pier/Snowy Plover enclosure around 4:30 yesterday, while walking with my wife Judith.   It was near the water and after only a few seconds flew overhead in the direction of the lagoon.  I didn’t have my camera and I didn’t get very close but it gave the general impression of a Long-billed. On our way out at 5pm we refound it at the west end of the lagoon, and the stature and downward probing was more LB than SB.

Aaron