Topics

Continuing Waterthrush

Brian Fitch

Five hours of birding Lake Merced and Golden Gate Park turned up a decent number of regular western migrants, and the/a Northern Waterthrush at the concrete bridge.  I heard the bird calling repeatedly as it approached the bridge from the willows to the NE, and then it popped up directly below me for a good but quick view before flying back into the reeds.

I haven't seen the beach at South Lake Merced so extensive in years, so watching it for shorebirds or other unusual species is worth some effort.  It made me recall the Nelson's Sparrow from 2001, a bird that spent some hours running along this little stretch of barren mud.

Brian Fitch