Common Loon?

spw49@...

Is this a common loon or some other kind? Seen in bay off Crissy Field on Dec. 25

Sally Whitehead

Kelly DeForest

This looks like a red-throated loon. Bill is comparatively small and slightly upturned and there is a lot of white on the face, the speckled back and white on the flanks is another good indicator in non-breeding plumage. Common loons have a much thicker bill, blocky head, and less white on the neck and flanks. Nice spot! I haven't seen one yet this winter.

Kelly DeForest
(360)485-3252

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM spw49 via groups.io <spw49=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is this a common loon or some other kind? Seen in bay off Crissy Field on Dec. 25

Sally Whitehead

spw49@...

Thanks Kelly, concurs with what some others are saying. There were a handful that I saw off shore  at that time.