Topics

Clay Colored Sparrows, Nashville Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Chestnut-Sided Warbler

David Assmann

Started the morning at Crissy Field just before dawn, and had a CLAY COLORED SPARROW in with WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS on the field. At Fort Mason, one of the first birds I saw was also a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, on the lawn in front of the garden. Lots of migrants on the move. While I was taking pictures, Juan Garcia had a BLACKPOLL WARBLER in the Eucalyptus trees. More WESTERN TANAGERS than I've seen on any one day (30+), at least 18 YELLOW WARBLERS, 3 WARBLING VIREOS, 1 BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, 3 PACIFIC-SLOPE (WESTERN) FLYCATCHERS, and a continuing NASHVILLE WARBLER. Later I was able to see the CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER that Jack Hayden found in Sue Bierman Park.

Oscar Moss

Hi David,

Looks like a really fun day. The photo you posted from Ft Mason on your eBird list labeled “Clay-colored Sparrow” actually looks like a Chipping Sparrow to my eye. The malar looks quite dark, the auricular is dark, and it looks like this bird has dark lores from what I can tell, all of which is better for Chipping Sparrow. Unfortunately, the photo quality is quite poor. Awesome finds otherwise!

Thanks,
Oscar

On Sep 20, 2019, at 7:38 PM, David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann@...> wrote:

Started the morning at Crissy Field just before dawn, and had a CLAY COLORED SPARROW in with WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS on the field. At Fort Mason, one of the first birds I saw was also a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, on the lawn in front of the garden. Lots of migrants on the move. While I was taking pictures, Juan Garcia had a BLACKPOLL WARBLER in the Eucalyptus trees. More WESTERN TANAGERS than I've seen on any one day (30+), at least 18 YELLOW WARBLERS, 3 WARBLING VIREOS, 1 BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, 3 PACIFIC-SLOPE (WESTERN) FLYCATCHERS, and a continuing NASHVILLE WARBLER. Later I was able to see the CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER that Jack Hayden found in Sue Bierman Park.

<P1230358.JPG><Warbling Vireo _1_.JPG>