Topics

Bobolink ft scott

Brian Fitch

In the ballfield grass . fort Scott. Presidio.
Brian Fitch

Brian Fitch

I went to Ft Scott to check for unusual sparrows, and heard a "wink" call coming from the coneaster outside of the NW edge of the ballfield.  To me it sounded like an odd Hooded Oriole, but out popped a Bobolink, a classic fall bird, bright yellow base color with dark streaks on head, face, and back, pointy pink bill, and spiky rectrices.  It fed on the green grass of the ball field in between several perches on the fence, where it gave multiple "wink" calls.  It associated loosely with House Finches and Lesser Goldfinches, and suddenly vanished while I was surveying another flock.

I don't know if the Ft Mason bird was still being viewed at 10:15.  Some of you may recall that in Sept of 2015, I found a Bobolink at Crissey, and later refound what was likely the same bird at Ft Scott.

I visited a few other sites with the same results that have been reported previously by many, just a few common migrants.  Only two Parasitic Jaegers at Sutro, but there were no terns to harass.

Brian Fitch