Blue-winged Teal continues @ Mountain Lake

Ken Moy

Good morning all,

Female blue-winged teal seen from the 'beach' by the playground @ 8:30 - 8:50am on Friday the 13th perched in the reeds at the waterline on the west shore just 10-20 feet north of 2 grayish white logs in the reeds. I was able to see the eye crescent, and light patch at the base of a large dark bill through a scope @ 45X when the bird occasionally moved its head. With bins, I was able to make out streaky light colored breast, dark head and yellowish legs. The bird did not emerge during the time I was there.

Also of note, 2 eared grebes near the beach.

Good birding to all,

Ken

Joe Morlan

All,

Are there any photos of the Blue-winged Teal available? The photos posted
on eBird all look like female Cinnamon Teal to me. Face looks blended and
rather dark, belly is also dark and heavily patterned and bill looks
relatively large.

Thanks.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Nico Stuurman

https://ebird.org/checklist/S76138158

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 09:21:14 -0800, "Ken Moy" <ken.moy62@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

Female blue-winged teal seen from the 'beach' by the playground @ 8:30 -
8:50am on Friday the 13th perched in the reeds at the waterline on the west
shore just 10-20 feet north of 2 grayish white logs in the reeds. I was
able to see the eye crescent, and light patch at the base of a large dark
bill through a scope @ 45X when the bird occasionally moved its head. With
bins, I was able to make out streaky light colored breast, dark head and
yellowish legs. The bird did not emerge during the time I was there.

Also of note, 2 eared grebes near the beach.

Good birding to all,

Ken

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
View/Reply Online (#25025): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/25025

Nico Stuurman

Joe Morlan

Nico,

Thanks, but I'm afraid that looks like a typical Cinnamon Teal to me.

-
8:50am on Friday the 13th perched in the reeds at the waterline on the
west
shore just 10-20 feet north of 2 grayish white logs in the reeds. I
was
able to see the eye crescent, and light patch at the base of a large
dark
bill through a scope @ 45X when the bird occasionally moved its head.
With
bins, I was able to make out streaky light colored breast, dark head
and
yellowish legs. The bird did not emerge during the time I was there.

Also of note, 2 eared grebes near the beach.

Good birding to all,

Ken

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

David Webster

I posted photos on both the 8th and the 9th. I originally thought it was a Green-winged Teal until I captured these.

David Webster

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Peter Pyle

Agree with CITE. HY male by the looks of it

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

David Webster

While I'm no expert by any means - far from it. (first year birder). I'm posting additional photos and some links that I based my opinion on. It's a much more interesting and at times confusing topic than I would have anticipated!

Focus On: Identifying Blue-winged and Cinnamon Teals:

Identifying Blue-winged, Green-winged, and Cinnamon Teal

Rust Stained Blue-winged Teal sometimes reported as Cinnamon Teal.   (In which cites Peter Pyle)

My observation was based on reading about these differences: prominent broad white eye-rings, white on lores, wider and dark eye stripe, whiter on throat area, supraloral spot separated from forehead by pale line.

To be fair, (or more confusing to me) after reading more, this bird seems also to have characteristics I noticed that are more common with CITE, such as some  pink-orange on rim of upper mandible. They are also known to hybridize.

Anyway, for those interested, I posted additional photos on ebird:

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA