Topics

Blackpoll warbler, GGP Alvord Lake

Bob Hall

I was passing by Alvord Lake with no bins, but the place was jumping and stopped me. Four townsends nearly collided with my chest during bug sorties. I saw a suspicious bird but couldn't nail it down. Went home and wolfed down lunch then returned with bins. Most of the warblers were gone except the slow moving blackpoll that would occasionally go to the ground. Most of the birds were hanging out in what looks like a hawthorn tree with berries near the lake.
--
Bob Hall
San Francisco, CA

Bob,

A "Blackpoll"  would be extremely lay at this time. One going to the ground in November sounds like a possible Pine Warbler as suggested by Curtis Marantz.

Anyone in the area might want to follow up on this report.

Dominik

On Nov 12, 2019, at 13:45, Bob Hall <bilgepump100@...> wrote:

I was passing by Alvord Lake with no bins, but the place was jumping and stopped me. Four townsends nearly collided with my chest during bug sorties. I saw a suspicious bird but couldn't nail it down. Went home and wolfed down lunch then returned with bins. Most of the warblers were gone except the slow moving blackpoll that would occasionally go to the ground. Most of the birds were hanging out in what looks like a hawthorn tree with berries near the lake.
--
Bob Hall
San Francisco, CA
"There is no better high than discovery." - E.O. Wilson

Bob Hall

I’ve only seen two pine warblers in my life and I’ve had trouble with them, so that’s a possibility. When I saw the cross-hatching on the back I went to blackpoll.

I look forward to further insights.

Bob

On Nov 13, 2019, at 7:10 AM, dominikmosur@... wrote:

[...]

I should add more context before I look in the book and become biased about my observation.

—Looking from the top down, greenish-yellow appearance
—Lighter yellowish wash on the breast, light streaking where wings meet breast
—two wing bars
—Light yellow halo around the eyes
—White in tail feathers stood out during fly catching
—Cross hatching on the back

Damn impeachment testimony and biodiversity event planning had me pinned in this morning.

Good luck!