Topics

Black (Skimmer) Power at Crissy

Richard Bradus

On this M.L. King, Jr. Day there was a treat - the Black Skimmers put on quite a show late this afternoon at Crissy Field and beach. As David Assmann already reported, there were three resting on the exposed mudflats at low tide around 4pm on the lagoon. As the tide started rising and the evening approached they took flight, variously skimming individually or as a group, first along the bay shoreline and lagoon, later all along the shoreline from further east than we could see all the way out to Fort Point and maybe beyond. I had the fortune to meet up with Felix Rigau (as well as Rachel Lawrence and others) to share the spectacle. Some photos can be seen on our eBird checklists: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63617552 and https://ebird.org/checklist/S63617558

Richard Bradus
San Francisco