Topics

Black-and-White Warbler et al, Western SF, 9/15/19

Paul Saraceni

This morning Hugh Cotter and I checked a number of locations on the W side of the City.

Sea-watching from the S end of the Great Highway was highlighted by thousands of Sooty Shearwaters streaming N nearly the entire time, 20+ Parasitic Jaegers on the move and harassing Elegant Terns, small numbers of each of the 3 regular loon species, 1 juv. Common Murre and 2 juv. Pigeon Guillemots, and 9 Red-necked Phalaropes flying over the ocean.  Hugh also spotted a N. Pintail and a Green-winged Teal flying together S over the ocean.  The only large shorebirds we observed this morning were 2 Whimbrel (the regular Hudsonicus ssp.) on the beach.

We next walked a loop including the East Wash, the "plateau" west of the Legion of Honor, the West Battery beyond the VA Hospital, and then back to the East Wash.  Small numbers of some typical migrants were around. Red-breasted Nuthatches were seemingly everywhere -- at least 20+ observed during our walk. There were also 2 Willow and 2 "Western" Flycatchers, a House Wren, 4 W. Bluebirds, and a Great Horned Owl that we heard daytime-calling from somewhere E of the East Wash.

Around 10:30, near the trail intersection closest to the West Battery, I briefly observed an imm. BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER which flew out of a cypress tree and dropped down into lower trees before it disappeared to the north. It was not with a flock, though there was a Willow Flycatcher nearby. We were unable to relocate the warbler.

Our final stop was Kobbe Upton / Ft. Scott, where sightings included a Say's Phoebe, 13 W. Bluebirds, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler in the field, as well as a Red-breasted Sapsucker in the trees above the tennis courts.

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco