Birds at Hunters Point

Harry Fuller <Harry_Fuller@...>

See below...SF Tomorrow is a preservation and conservation group trying to stir
interest in Htrs. Point...they'd like a birding trip...anybody interested in
seeing if there are Burrowing Owls, Shrike, WT Swift and Stilts at Hunters
Point? This is your chance...one volunteer needed. Please let me know but
communicate directly with Ms Miller. You;d likely get a free lunch out of it.
---------------------- Forwarded by Harry Fuller on 07/26/2000 03:13 PM
---------------------------

Original Message from Mary Anne Miller <ma-miller@email.msn.com> on
07/26/2000 02:47:36 PM

To: Harry Fuller <Harry_Fuller@zd.com>
cc:
Subject: SFT Hunters Point picnic

Hello Harry,

I spoke with you Sunday at the Presidio about the San Francisco Tomorrow
August 26th picnic and the desirability of having a guided birding walk.
Morning is always the best time, I know, but the invitation reads
10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with barbecue lunch between 12 noon and 2 p.m. Ten
o'clock is not very early for a true
birder, but perhaps if it is a foggy morning the birds won't awaken until 10
or 10:30! What would you think about a 10:30 start, finishing at noon?

I remember that you said you would be away that weekend but back on Sunday,
so I'm hoping you'll be able
to make it yourself. However, if you cannot be there, would you ask around
to see if anyone else would be interested in prospecting for birds at
Hunters Point?

Of course, if you are not a member of San Francisco Tomorrow, your
membership will be encouraged by a year's free membership. The organization
has gotten very involved in local politics in the past few years, with not
enough emphasis on proactive conservation of the environment, in my opinion.
Birds are a basic indicator, and I don't think most of our Board can
identify (more than) one! Our next newsletter is September and we could
write-up our August 26th day list and make it part of an article.

Let me know if you're still interested.

Mary Anne Miller

Alan Hopkins <ash@...>

I have birded the Hunter's Point Shipyard a few times. Last spring I led
a trip for the Shipyard Trust for the Arts. At the time the most best
areas were/are off limits. In talking with Ruth Goldstien it sounds like
there might be Great Blue Herons nesting there. Barn Owls have nested in
one building, but may have flushed out by a drummer. On the trip we saw
a Peregrine Flacon carrying food onto the big red and white crane. I
also have a friend who was doing some lighting for a movie out there and
was bombed by a falcon when he climbed the crane. I think a search for a
nest is would be in order.

If you are still looking for a leader let me know.

Alan Hopkins

To: Harry Fuller <Harry_Fuller@zd.com>