Topics

Battery Godfrey -- Red-footed Booby et al., 11/24/19

Paul Saraceni

I spent this morning @ Battery Godfrey (7:10-10:40 AM) during steady NE winds and clear conditions, joined by Hugh Cotter for the second-half.

At 9:15-9:20, the RED-FOOTED BOOBY made an appearance, flying strong and low over the GG Channel from the west and continuing to fly east until we lost our view of it as it headed below the GG Bridge and into the Bay, presumably to its roost near Crissy Field.

Observations of local interest:

BRANT 1 (on the water out from the bluff)
Green-winged Teal 2 (flying SW low over the GG Channel)
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 1 (flying W low over the GG Channel)
Surf Scoter 22
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 ad. & 1 juv. (per Hugh, these birds have been around recently; the juv. landed on a log near the Battery and was vocalizing for several minutes from that perch)
Black Oystercatcher 2
Marbled Godwit 2 (flying E)
Heermann's Gull 5
Mew Gull 200+
Ring-billed Gull 1 ad.
Herring Gull 13
Iceland (Thayer's) Gull 1 ad.
Glaucous-winged Gull 6
Com. Murre 18
RED-NECKED GREBE 1 (on the water out from the bluff)
Clark's Grebe 2
Western Grebe 20+
Red-thr. Loon 120+
Com. Loon 6
Turkey Vulture 2 (1 briefly perched on cypress NE of the Battery)
N. Flicker 6
Peregrine Falcon 2 (perched on S. tower of GG Bridge)
House Wren 2 (calling simultaneously)
Bewick's Wren 1
Wrentit 1-2 (calling from S of the Battery)
Ruby-cr. Kinglet 2
Steller's Jay 1
Am. Pipit 9 (calling flyovers)
Purple Finch 3
Pine Siskin 4
Lesser Goldfinch 1
Am. Goldfinch 1
Yel.-rumped Warbler 20+ (including 1 "Myrtle")
Townsend's Warbler 1

Plus:
Harbor Porpoise 10+
Harbor Seal 2