Battery Godfrey

Brian Fitch

The easterly breeze picked up at dawn, but it took a few hours for things to get interesting.  By the time I left at 1:30, I and various observers had seen:

Greater White-fronted Goose - 2 flocks each of 30; the second flew right over us calling and flashing their orange feet.  Two other distant goose flocks were over Marin
Cackling Goose - 3, with second wh-fr flock
Northern Pintail - roughly 15
Gadwall - 1 w/pintail
Greater Scaup - 2 flocks of 25 and 15
moderate numbers of Sharped-shinned, Cooper's, Red-shouldered, Red-tailed Hawks, and Turkey Vultures
Northern Harrier
Broad-winged Hawk - 1 certain and likely two more high and distant
Golden Eagle
American Kestrel - 2
Lewis's Woodpecker - 1 imm that spent 10 minutes perched
Acorn Woodpecker - 2 together
Northern Flicker - 10+
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

I took a break over at Ft Scott, which was dry and dead, and then Dragonfly Creek, where the continuing Chestnut-sided and Nashville Warblers were present in alders visible from the south side trail.
Brian Fitch