Barrow's Goldeneye?

David Webster

I wanted to throw this out to the experts...My bird photographer friend called me to let me know he thought he saw something unusual.He's not a birder per se (but, definitely a good photographer)-as his first ID of this was a Greater Scaup.  I thought it was a Common Goldeneye, though after he sent me a photo I rushed over to Mt. Lake, and after 1 1/2 hours I finally spotted what I think maybe a Barrow's Goldeneye (this time at the far north of the lake, solo). I noticed the steep forehead and short bill... What say the experts? I'll be going first thing in the a.m. to see if I might get some more photos to verify.

David Webster