Bald Eagle still present Make Merced

David Nelson

As previously reported the adult Bald Eagle was still in the Eucalyptus trees across at 11:00 AM, across the lake, south of the boat house.

Good birding !

David W. Nelson

Aaron Maizlish

So this Bald Eagle has been returning to the same Eucalyptus on and off for almost two months now since it was first reported by Hugh Cotter in January.  I’m not sure if it returns to the same perch each time or not - I’ve missed it twice, so it’s also spending time somewhere else (assuming its always the same bird.).  Birders and photographers should keep a keen eye open for any hint of an attempt at nest building.  I’m not saying that it is - but it seems to be a healthy adult and it is the season, and a suitable location.  A nesting attempt in San Francisco would certainly be historic.  And maybe SF Rec and Parks should be notified, if they’re not tracking it already, so they don’t do something shortsighted, like tree trimming...

Just a thought,

Aaron Maizlish