Topics

B-l Kittiwake off the Cliff House, 2/2/20

Paul Saraceni

Yesterday (Sunday, 2/2) morning I did some sea-watching from the Cliff House terrace and then the Mile Rock overlook during the strong NW wind event. Besides the usual nearshore species, there was not much to see (e.g., no alcids could be detected in the high waves). The highlight was an adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE that I picked-up on as it flew NE out past the Sutro Baths overlook and turned towards the GG Channel.

There was a nice steady stream of gulls heading past the terrace (including a number of Herring and Thayer's Gulls, as well as apparent GW hybrids) and for about a 1/2 hr. (until flushed by a fisherman) good numbers were settling down on the Sutro Baths pond and adjacent seawalls, allowing scope study and some distant photos that require further study.

Of very local interest were 2 Eared Grebes on the pond.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco