American bittern - Lake Merced

Rachel Lawrence

This morning just after 9am I was standing south of Gun Club Marsh on John Muir Drive,  where there is an open view of the reeds and lake before the willows start north of concrete Bridge. An American Bittern was flushed out the reeds and flew over the other side of the lake where it landed directly opposite in the reeds but was lost to view. The wind was pretty strong and the bird had difficulty crossing the lake which was good for me as I didn't have my camera out or turned on at the time
This is likely the same bird that Logan, Hugh and I have seen intermittently between November and now
Good Birding
Rachel