Advice please

Kay Voyvodich

A friend of mine  showed me an active bird's nest outside her dining room window in a well sheltered location and a small tree. The bird is a Junco and sitting on eggs. The issue: They booked having their home power washed and painted. Rescheduling this is "not an option". Any other ideas of what to do? The nest is probably reachable from the window and could be relocated but I don't believe that would work... oy.

Tell them you’ll report them to California fish and game for an illegal take of juncos.

On Jun 15, 2022, at 16:56, Kay Voyvodich <kveee@...> wrote:

A friend of mine  showed me an active bird's nest outside her dining room window in a well sheltered location and a small tree. The bird is a Junco and sitting on eggs. The issue: They booked having their home power washed and painted. Rescheduling this is "not an option". Any other ideas of what to do? The nest is probably reachable from the window and could be relocated but I don't believe that would work... oy.

Linda Swanson

Dark-eyed Junco is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 https://www.fws.gov/law/migratory-bird-treaty-act-1918

“The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) prohibits the take (including killing, capturing, selling, trading, and transport) of protected migratory bird species without prior authorization by the Department of the Interior U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service” (fws.gov).

Linda Swanson

On Jun 15, 2022, at 7:49 PM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur@...> wrote:

Tell them you’ll report them to California fish and game for an illegal take of juncos.

On Jun 15, 2022, at 16:56, Kay Voyvodich <kveee@...> wrote:

A friend of mine  showed me an active bird's nest outside her dining room window in a well sheltered location and a small tree. The bird is a Junco and sitting on eggs. The issue: They booked having their home power washed and painted. Rescheduling this is "not an option". Any other ideas of what to do? The nest is probably reachable from the window and could be relocated but I don't believe that would work... oy.

Allison Levin

To be clear, both the wash company and the homeowner are legally required to not disturb nests. Be sure to contact the company both by phone and with a letter to advise them.
Your friend wants to do the right thing, but perhaps doesn’t understand that laws apply.

Daniel Scali

Ask your friend to make a substantial donation to ggas or another conservation organization if they go through with the work. Also plant natives.

Dan

Kay Voyvodich

Thank you for your sage responses to this situation. I have forwarded suggestions.

Her response this morning:

"Thanks so much for your thoughts. We have not seen the bird all week."
Kay