A Few Migratories

Brian Fitch

I found an adequate selection of migrant species today at North Lake in Golden Gate Park.  A small group along the northwest side of the lake included an Olive-sided Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, Bullock's Oriole, and a cluster of six singing warbler species; Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped, Yellow, Townsend's, Wilson's and C. Yellowthroat.  A single Western Tanager sang once by the South Windmill, and a House Wren was singing at the west end of the Buffalo Paddocks, exactly where I found a newly fledged one a few years ago.

I started the morning at S Lake Merced, where the highlight was three Tree Swallows trying to fly off with a detached gull feather that was about the same length as them.  They actually took turns, waiting while each bird got the feather airborne, but then lost it as they gained speed and the feather became more aerodynamic.  They made multiple attempts, and at one point my FOY Green Heron flew directly over them at my shoulder level.

Yesterday, I did a seawatch from 6:30-9:00 at the Sutro Baths, where the notables included three Brant, scores of Pacific Loons in alternate, two Wandering Tattlers on the outer rocks, and numerous northbound shorebird flocks, many unidentified, but among the recognized were Curlew, Whimbrel, Sanderling, peeps, and Red-necked Phalaropes.  I then worked my way along Land's End to Crissey, where the previously reported and very late to arrive Semipalmated Plovers were hanging out at Quartermaster.  At several stops inland, I found no passerine migrants at all, so today's few were much appreciated.
Brian Fitch