Pier 94, out of season birds

Eddie Bartley

May 31, Pier 94 report: been in Texas and Kentucky for past 6 weeks so maybe this is old news...Female GADWALL continues in Hansen Pond

Also, a very late or lost WESTERN MEADOWLARK flew in, then perched up close in the scrub. Last seen it was heading across Islais Creek towards Pier 80. Meadowlarks very likely bred in eastern SF when it was mostly grasslands so may be it's presence today is Pleistocenic memory :)

Two Whimbrel and an Osprey pair were about.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S111830843

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley and Noreen Weeden

Dominik Mosur

Hi Eddie,

That’s a real cool late spring record of meadowlark for SF.

I wonder if it’s a bird that nested in the Bay Area early (and possibly unsuccessfully)and already dispersed post breeding versus a wintering bird still holding on.

Last year Kevin Liberg photo’d a hatch year looking  western meadowlark at candlestick 6/17. That one also had me scratching my head. I suppose a single pair could’ve hidden their breeding attempts at the Rec area and produced a young bird but there wasn’t any adults noted in the area before or after that singular sighting. By mid June though meadowlarks in the Bay Area have routinely fledged so that date makes more sense for a dispersing bird.

Thanks for the report.

Dominik