Topics

8 Guillemots at McCovey Cove

Stephen Schulz

There were 8 Pigeon Guillemots seen from the end of the South Beach Marina pier this morning.  3 were right next to the pier when I arrived.  After a bit they flew across to Pier 48 where there were 5 more.   This is the 5th time I've seen guillemots at this location this year.  About a month ago I was out on 3 of 4 days and saw 1, 1 and 2 birds and this Tuesday there were 2 there.  I wasn't actively birding all those times, but keeping an eye out for anything unusual on my morning walk.  In the last 5 years there are only about a dozen sightings in eBird south of the bridge in the city including one other at this site and 3 at Heron's Head in the last two months.  We seem to be having a bit of an incursion this year.

Steve Schulz

Steve Schulz
San Francisco