Banded White-crowned sparrow

David Webster

Just curious if anyone might know anything about these bands. It's the first time I've come across a banded sparrow. Seen in Lobos Creek this afternoon.

David Webster

Linda Swanson <lswanson@...>

This may be one of the banded White-crowned Sparrows from a research project in 2014 and 2015. 41 White-crowned Sparrows were banded in SF in 2014 (unknown location) and additional White-crowned Sparrows were banded in 2015 at Lake Merced near the Concrete Bridge, and at Golden Gate Park near the Polo Fields.

Here is info about the project from the sign used in the field:
Researchers: from San Francisco State University and Tulane University
Research Permit #032014 SF Parks and Rec
#GOGA-2014-SCI-0017"

I had the pleasure of being a volunteer field assistant to the grad student from SFSU working on this research project.
Attached is a photo of a just-banded White-crowned Sparrow, Golden Gate Park, 4/24/2015.
Linda Swanson

On Jan 12, 2022, at 3:54 PM, David Webster <davisigno@...> wrote:

Just curious if anyone might know anything about these bands. It's the first time I've come across a banded sparrow. Seen in Lobos Creek this afternoon.

David Webster

<DSCF3762.jpg>

Peter Pyle

I asked Mark Dettling of Point Blue for an update on this project and it is pasted in below. I too have been seeing these banded birds regularly at the east end of the Concrete Bridge - all adults this winter. I presume these are all nuttalli (as opposed to pugentensis) but I don't know this for certain. Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,
These WCSP are part of a study that Elizabeth Derryberry (now at the University of Knoxville) has been running investigating differences in song between urban (the SF birds) and rural (the Bolinas/Pt Reyes birds) sites. The most recent grad student to work on the project is Ruth Simberloff. Our current lead bander at Palo, Mike Mahoney, worked with Ruth last year and might provide more detail (and pass along the sighting to Ruth). They banded at both Lobos Creek and Lake Merced, so these are their birds.

Mark

On Jan 12, 2022, at 3:54 PM, David Webster <<mailto:davisigno@...>davisigno@...> wrote:

Just curious if anyone might know anything about these bands. It's the first time I've come across a banded sparrow. Seen in Lobos Creek this afternoon.

David Webster

<DSCF3762.jpg>

David Webster

Thanks all, for weighing in on this!

David Webster

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:43 AM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
I asked Mark Dettling of Point Blue for an update
on this project and it is pasted in below. I too
have been seeing these banded birds regularly at
the east end of the Concrete Bridge - all adults
this winter. I presume these are all nuttalli (as
opposed to pugentensis) but I don't know this for certain. Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter,
   These WCSP are part of a study that Elizabeth
Derryberry (now at the University of Knoxville)
has been running investigating differences in
song between urban (the SF birds) and rural (the
Bolinas/Pt Reyes birds) sites. The most recent
grad student to work on the project is Ruth
Simberloff. Our current lead bander at Palo, Mike
Mahoney, worked with Ruth last year and might
provide more detail (and pass along the sighting
to Ruth). They banded at both Lobos Creek and
Lake Merced, so these are their birds.

Mark

At 05:16 PM 1/12/2022, Linda Swanson wrote:
>This may be one of the banded White-crowned
>Sparrows from a research project in 2014 and
>2015. 41 White-crowned Sparrows were banded in
>SF in 2014 (unknown location) and additional
>White-crowned Sparrows were banded in 2015 at
>Lake Merced near the Concrete Bridge, and at
>Golden Gate Park near the Polo Fields.
>
>Here is info about the project from the sign used in the field:
>affecting the song of local White-Crowned
>Sparrows. We are putting on color bracelets to
>keep track of the individual birds and working
>with audio recordings to analyze song and
>behavior. This study will provide valuable
>insights into avian communication.â€
>Researchers: from San Francisco State University and Tulane University
>Research Permit #032014 SF Parks and Rec
>#GOGA-2014-SCI-0017"
>
>I had the pleasure of being a volunteer field
>assistant to the grad student from SFSU working on this research project.
>Attached is a photo of a just-banded
>White-crowned Sparrow, Golden Gate Park, 4/24/2015.
>Linda Swanson
>

>>On Jan 12, 2022, at 3:54 PM, David Webster
>><<mailto:davisigno@...>davisigno@...> wrote:
>>
>>Just curious if anyone might know anything
>>about these bands. It's the first time I've
>>come across a banded sparrow. Seen in Lobos Creek this afternoon.
>>
>>David Webster
>>
>><DSCF3762.jpg>

Mike Carozza

Any chance we can age this particular bird? The idea that it might be 7 years old (young?) is spectacular

-MC

--
Mike Carozza
914-475-9355

David Webster

I'll send in the photo.  Hopefully, the four color codes bands might be enough info! I'll keep you posted.

--
Mike Carozza
914-475-9355

Bob Hall

MC said "Any chance we can age this particular bird? The idea that it might be 7 years old (young?) is spectacular"

It also says a lot about site fidelity for breeders and the kind of plants/habitat these birds need. It’s useful info for when large developments, like Balboa Reservoir development un-house these sparrows. Where will they go? It would be an interesting study to tag the dozens of white-crowns at Balboa to see where they scatter and if they live after the coyote bush is replaced. Or, could they persist on the ornamental replacement plants?

Bob Hall
SF

--
Bob Hall
San Francisco, CA

Alvaro Jaramillo

All,

  Bret Sandercock and I wrote a paper on survival rates of sparrows, based on the San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory data some years ago. Estimates of longevity (which is different than annual survival rates) ranged from 6 – 9 in the sparrows studied (Song, Lincoln’s, Sooty Fox, Golden-crowned, Puget Sound White-crowned, Gambell’s White-crowned). The sparrows are either resident (Song) or the migrants actually return to the same wintering area after they settle on one after the first year.

  This is the paper.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335658809_Annual_Survival_Rates_of_Wintering_Sparrows_Assessing_Demographic_Consequences_of_Migration

Various other papers I have worked on here, in case anyone is into this stuff:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alvaro-Jaramillo-4/research

Alvaro