Phainopepla at Fort Mason

David Assmann

West side of Community Garden

Adam Winer

Any observers have thoughts about the sex of this bird (and why)?

It seemed to clearly be an immature (as one would expect) - pale base to the bill, eye brownish red (not the typical intense red of an adult).

But male or female?  There's some fresh and darker feathers coming in on the coverts, mantle, and head - so a male?  Some of my photos, for those who didn't see this bird in person.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 9:10 AM David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
West side of Community Garden

Adam Winer

Pointed out by Rudyard Wallen - this must be an immature female or there wouldn't be white edging to the fresh wing feather.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021, 14:15 Adam Winer via groups.io <awiner=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Any observers have thoughts about the sex of this bird (and why)?

It seemed to clearly be an immature (as one would expect) - pale base to the bill, eye brownish red (not the typical intense red of an adult).

But male or female?  There's some fresh and darker feathers coming in on the coverts, mantle, and head - so a male?  Some of my photos, for those who didn't see this bird in person.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 9:10 AM David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
West side of Community Garden

Rudyard Wallen

Hey Folks and Adam,

sorry I was a bit imprecise. Males can have white edging (which wears off, like with fresh Starlings) but it's the color. In males the feathers come in black and in stark contrast to the older feathers, e.g.

In all of these images the feather seems grey, closer to this

cheers

-Rudy

Betty Sin

I saw this bird at the Botanical Garden (Children Area) on Wed.  is that it ?

Sent from Mail for Windows

Pointed out by Rudyard Wallen - this must be an immature female or there wouldn't be white edging to the fresh wing feather.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021, 14:15 Adam Winer via groups.io <awiner=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Any observers have thoughts about the sex of this bird (and why)?

It seemed to clearly be an immature (as one would expect) - pale base to the bill, eye brownish red (not the typical intense red of an adult).

But male or female?  There's some fresh and darker feathers coming in on the coverts, mantle, and head - so a male?  Some of my photos, for those who didn't see this bird in person.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 9:10 AM David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

West side of Community Garden

Rudyard Wallen

Seems to have different feathering, so a different Phainopepla. Another nice find.

cheers

-Rudy
SF

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 3:27 PM Betty Sin via groups.io <e66noodle=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I saw this bird at the Botanical Garden (Children Area) on Wed.  is that it ?

_._,_.__