Local Interest past few days - Shorebirds and other movements

David Assmann

I've been going to Crissy Lagoon daily recently and have observed some seasonal changes.  The number of ELEGANT TERNS peaked at 625 last Sunday, and have declined rapidly to a handful today. The 4 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS have been there every day. A RED-NECKED PHALAROPE was seen on Sunday and another one was there on Tuesday. A juvenile WHITE-TAILED KITE perched on a small snag next to the bridge both Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I haven't seen it since. On Monday there were 9 species of shorebirds at Heron's Head Park, 7 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES at Lake Merced, and an influx of shorebirds on Ocean Beach, including 255 SANDERLINGS, 131 WHIMBRELS and 17 SNOWY PLOVERS. Last Sunday, at Fort Mason, there was a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE in Aquatic Park, a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER in the Battery, and a WESTERN TANAGER behind the General's House. On Tuesday, I observed at least two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS at El Polin Springs (don't know if these were dispersing birds, or birds that had spent the summer there). The RED-WHISKERED BULBUL, presumably an escaped pet, was seen at Fort Mason both yesterday and today.