LAGO Bernal Hill

David Armstrong

Male and female Lawrence's Goldfinch on east hillside off Folsom St. right now. Also Western Kingbird

Earlier a Willow Flycatcher at Potrero Rec Center in eucs above playground. Good mix of migrants around with tanagers calling in multiple locations.

Eddie Monson

Hi all,
Great find David! I wonder if these goldfinches are new or the same bird/birds seen over the past 2 weeks. Seems pretty unlikely that there have been 4 different birds in the same area in 2 weeks but possible? Could this be a pair poking around trying to nest?
Happy spring
Eddie

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:01 AM David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Male and female Lawrence's Goldfinch on east hillside off Folsom St. right now. Also Western Kingbird

Earlier a Willow Flycatcher at Potrero Rec Center in eucs above playground. Good mix of migrants around with tanagers calling in multiple locations.

David Armstrong

I'd wager they're the ones you've been observing. Given they bred in SF last year, why not again in 21?

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:14 AM, Eddie Monson
<eg40monson@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Great find David! I wonder if these goldfinches are new or the same bird/birds seen over the past 2 weeks. Seems pretty unlikely that there have been 4 different birds in the same area in 2 weeks but possible? Could this be a pair poking around trying to nest?
Happy spring
Eddie

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:01 AM David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Male and female Lawrence's Goldfinch on east hillside off Folsom St. right now. Also Western Kingbird

Earlier a Willow Flycatcher at Potrero Rec Center in eucs above playground. Good mix of migrants around with tanagers calling in multiple locations.

Sarah Burton

Great finds, David! Eddie, your lists from Bernal are fantastic...

Willow Flycatcher continues at the Potrero Hill Rec Center, currently in the eucs just meters south of the cement stairs/beginning of wood path. Silent.

Larry Goldfinch pair heard and barely seen at Bernal. They flew south up the hill from Folsom entrance and maybe a bit west. The call notes sounded like "shwing:" fast double notes and a bzzzz. I did not see or hear the gnatcatcher.

Spring!!!
Sarah

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 09:16 David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi all - in my haste to report this I mistakenly said east rather than north hillside (Folsom St. bends around). the spot is very close to where Folsom ends and Bernal Heights Blvd. begins

37°44'35.5"N 122°24'38.7"W

Good luck if you chase them