From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joel Perlstein
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:36 PM
To: SFBirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] African Collared-Dove vs Eurasian Collared-Dove.

Has the African Collared-Dove made its way to the SF Bay Area?

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Joel Perlstein

Has the African Collared-Dove made its way to the SF Bay Area?

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

tracy_farrington

Russ,

The only time I've seen the African Collared Dove in the States was a few years back, in Miami.
The ID was aided by the fact that it was mixed with a few Eurasians, all perched on a power line,
and facing me. The white undertail coverts were in clear distinction from the very gray on the
Eurasian Doves. In southern Spain I've seen many individuals identical to the African in Miami.
While this feature might not, by some, be enough to make an absolutely positive distinction,
I found it to be quite consistent. That said, however, I've not been able to make vocal comparisons.

Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

On Thursday, March 25, 2021, 02:53:18 PM PDT, bitanangan <birdbright@...> wrote:

Hi Birders,
    Rapid expert feedback has suggested that there may be no accurate way to separate these species where they coexist other than thru voice. In other words, our field guide descriptions and other information found on the internet regarding this subject, may be useless. If we have variously colored pigeons of one species, then why not doves?
Russ Bright
SF

bitanangan