City Birds: Kestrel, Bluebird, Say’s Phoebe

Aaron Maizlish

Over the past several months, Western Bluebirds have colonized this neighborhood in Bernal Heights around Coso Square (Coso and Precita).  I was reminded of this just now when a male Western Bluebird peered directly into my office window (3rd floor), about five feet from me.

Aaron Maizlish

On Jan 24, 2021, at 9:19 PM, Mike Carozza <mike.carozza@...> wrote:

I visited friends who live under Bernal Hill yesterday and had 3 great “Street Birds.”

I had a WESTERN BLUEBIRD eating on a telephone pole over 24th and South Van Ness.

A male AMERICAN KESTREL at Bernal Hill which seems pretty common in winter there.  Presiding over a very small patch of steep unmowed grass.

A SAY’S PHOEBE flycatching from a street tree on Precita St near Shotwell right in front of somebody’s bay window.

Seeing these open space birds working within the city grid was just plain cool. Also, two pairs of RAVENS seemed to be bonding on the hill.

Up north in the town of Sonoma today there was a huge female COOPER’S HAWK flying between giant Valley Oaks, boldly ca-ca-ca-ca’ing, and flaring the white flaps on her tail in flight and while landing. What an Animal!

-MC

--
Mike Carozza
914-475-9355