Sooty Shearwaters off Ocean Beach, 6/18/20

Paul Saraceni

The Sooties are massing again right now (6:25 pm Thurs) off of Rivera access to OB.

Cheers,
Paul Saraceni

On Jun 17, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:

This evening (now) Sooty Shearwaters are moving in big numbers off Ocean Beach. Several thousand were flying N in pulses when I arrived around 7:10 pm. In the past 20 minutes (7:45-8:05) they have been streaming S uninterrupted just beyond the surf @ Pacheco. Conservative estimate of 15,000+.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

Mila Zinkova <Milazinkova@...>

https://youtu.be/PNTbQRH0FHU
This was at about the same time close to the Cliff House.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 6:28 PM Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:
The Sooties are massing again right now (6:25 pm Thurs) off of Rivera access to OB.

Cheers,
Paul Saraceni

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:
>
> This evening (now) Sooty Shearwaters are moving in big numbers off Ocean Beach. Several thousand were flying N in pulses when I arrived around 7:10 pm. In the past 20 minutes (7:45-8:05) they have been streaming S uninterrupted just beyond the surf @ Pacheco. Conservative estimate of 15,000+.
>
> Paul Saraceni
> San Francisco
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Alvaro Jaramillo

They were off Half Moon Bay heading north this evening, so there are miles of them!!

alvaro@...

The Sooties are massing again right now (6:25 pm Thurs) off of Rivera access to OB.

Cheers,
Paul Saraceni

On Jun 17, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni@...> wrote:

This evening (now) Sooty Shearwaters are moving in big numbers off Ocean Beach. Several thousand were flying N in pulses when I arrived around 7:10 pm. In the past 20 minutes (7:45-8:05) they have been streaming S uninterrupted just beyond the surf @ Pacheco. Conservative estimate of 15,000+.

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

Joel Perlstein

Any idea what they were feeding on?

I am also curious as to what the power of magnification was for the video?

Thanks

--
Joel Perlstein
San Francisco

Mila Zinkova <Milazinkova@...>

They were feeding probably on anchovies. My zoom is 800.
Best.