Topics

Male Scarlet tanager question

Pamela Llewellyn

Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932

Joachim Gonzalez

I assume you mean the adult male Summer Tanager that was there, not a Scarlet Tanager

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM Pamela Llewellyn via groups.io <pamelallewellyn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932

Aaron Maizlish

Pamela,

There has been an adult male Summer Tanager at Glen Canyon Park for the last two winters.   There were a few weeks in January where he was coming into a bee hive next to the trail to feed.  When I went to see him on 1/29/2020 he was at the hive.  That is actually this year (!), it just feels like last year.  Or maybe it feels like many years ago before the shutdown.  The bird was last reported on eBird at the beginning of April.  I was told that it was sometimes seen around the neighborhood during the winter.

There was also a second city record Scarlet Tanager seen last fall, but that one was at the SF Zoo.  That might be the source of confusion.

Take care,

Aaron

On May 29, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Pamela Llewellyn via groups.io <pamelallewellyn@...> wrote:

Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932

Pamela Llewellyn

yes - thank you.  I did mean summer tanager

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932

On Friday, May 29, 2020, 01:48:36 PM PDT, S. R. Gilbert <sgilbert524@...> wrote:

For summer tanager in Glen Canyon:
4/2/2018.
3/18/2019.
Early January 2020.
On Friday, May 29, 2020, 01:40:11 PM PDT, Joachim Gonzalez <gonzalexgaming21@...> wrote:

I assume you mean the adult male Summer Tanager that was there, not a Scarlet Tanager

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:39 PM Pamela Llewellyn via groups.io <pamelallewellyn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932

Roberta Guise

I met up with Rachel Lawrence the last week of January this year to ogle at it. It had been there a couple of weeks before that. So safe to say most of January 2020.

Ah, the good old days…

P.S. Great article today in NY Times on how birding is catching on — “The Birds Are Not on Lockdown and More People Are Watching Them”— https://nyti.ms/36MeL1A

Warmly,
Roberta

Roberta Guise DTM
415-420-6276

Guise Marketing + PR
Executive branding to be visible, add value, and change
the way people think

http://www.guisemarketing.com    @robertaguise

linkedin.com/in/robertaguise

President, IMC USA NorCal Chapter
Institute of Management Consultants USA
http://www.imcusa.org/

Delegate representing San Francisco and speaker at the
UN Commission on the Status of Women

On May 29, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Pamela Llewellyn via groups.io <pamelallewellyn@...> wrote:

Last year there was an adult male Scarlet tanager hanging out in Glen Canyon Park.  He stayed for at least a couple of weeks.  He was feeding on a bee hive.  I can't find this information in eBird.  Does anyone remember the dates that he was there?

Pamela Llewellyn
CPESC, QSD, QSP
Stormwater Professional
510-316-8932