Laughing gull crissey

Brian Fitch

I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

Brian Fitch

It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

C Lou

The bird just took off to baY.

Calvin Lou
SF

It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

Adam Winer

A photo:

P4200075.jpg

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:
It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

Ralph McKinnon

Bird still present?

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 1:15 PM, Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:

A photo:

P4200075.jpg

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:
It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

Adam Winer

Sorry, this photo was from before it took off:  I left before it did, so no idea of its current status.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Ralph McKinnon via groups.io <mckinnon_ralph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bird still present?

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 1:15 PM, Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:

A photo:

P4200075.jpg

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:
It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

C Lou

The bird flew off at 1210pm.

Calvin Lou
SF

It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips
I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders
Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon
B Fitch

Alvaro Jaramillo

All

  Just in case you are interested, it looks like a first cycle Laughing Gull. So hatched last summer. It retains a brownish wing, but has molted in the body, as well as many coverts, making it look largely grey when sitting like this. In flight the wing will look a lot more brownish.

   Separate to this, is how interesting it is that we are seemingly getting this sprinkling of Laughing Gulls on the coast now, at least in the last 3-4 years compared to the long running average. One could blame it on climate change, but the truth is that we have little idea of the population dynamics of where these Laughing Gulls actually come from, presumably the W coast Mexican breeding birds.

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

Sorry, this photo was from before it took off:  I left before it did, so no idea of its current status.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Ralph McKinnon via groups.io <mckinnon_ralph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bird still present?

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 1:15 PM, Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:

A photo:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brian Fitch <fogeggs@...> wrote:

It just stopped preening and is hanging out. Long slightly decurved black beak hood starting to show eye crescents dark wingtips

I’ll hang out awhile and hope for other birders

Photos obtained!

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have no guide with me but there is an apparent laughing gull on the West Island at11:07 crissey lagoon

B Fitch

Joe Morlan

Al,

Interesting is the exceptional number of Laughing Gulls in Hawaii lately. I
know at least one Hawaii record was of a bird banded in New Jersey!

<mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com

Sorry, this photo was from before it took off: I left before it did, so no idea of its current status.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Ralph McKinnon via groups.io <http://groups.io> <mckinnon_ralph=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io> > wrote:

Bird still present?

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 1:15 PM, Adam Winer <awiner@gmail.com <mailto:awiner@gmail.com> > wrote:

A photo:

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

H Cotter

Alvaro,
Here is a flight shot to back up your comments. There are likely better ones out there,
Nice find by Brian,

image.jpeg

Hugh