Topics

red-napped ss in view

Rudyard Wallen

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

rosemary@...

What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Rudyard Wallen

Sorry, was shooting and tracking bird while typing (hence the auto-correct). Three birders showed up so I guess it was useful to someone? More later but after work.   -Rudy, SF

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Adam Winer

 I'm guessing this is the horseshoe pit in NE Golden Gate Park, but that's a guess.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:
Sorry, was shooting and tracking bird while typing (hence the auto-correct). Three birders showed up so I guess it was useful to someone? More later but after work.   -Rudy, SF

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Dominik Mosur

Hi Rosemary,

The OP (original poster) Rudyard Wallen, was referring to the horseshoe pits (HP).

This is the continuing thread on the presence of an interesting very likely RED-NAPED Sapsucker which has been observed in east end of Golden Gate Park between McLaren Lodge and the horseshoe pits . First reported as a sapsucker sp. by Brian Turner around 1/10.

If you go back in the archive of the list you should see the related messages.

Hope this helps,

Dominik Mosur

On Jan 30, 2020, at 13:54, rosemary@... wrote:

What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Joachim Gonzalez

Yeah, sounds like Rudy is referring to the Horseshoe Pits where the Red Naped Sapsucker was first found.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:
 I'm guessing this is the horseshoe pit in NE Golden Gate Park, but that's a guess.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:
Sorry, was shooting and tracking bird while typing (hence the auto-correct). Three birders showed up so I guess it was useful to someone? More later but after work.   -Rudy, SF

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Rudyard Wallen

Yes, where it was initially reported. So far has now been seen in the areas adjacent to the N, SE, S, SW of the horseshoe pits.  -r

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:31 PM Adam Winer <awiner@...> wrote:
 I'm guessing this is the horseshoe pit in NE Golden Gate Park, but that's a guess.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:
Sorry, was shooting and tracking bird while typing (hence the auto-correct). Three birders showed up so I guess it was useful to someone? More later but after work.   -Rudy, SF

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

Peter Pyle

More specifically, the "Red-naped" Sapsucker (we'll have to check specimens to fully eliminate any Yellow-bellied Sapsucker genes, or at least try to) was present from about 1115 to noon in the large Eucalypti and Monterey Pines to the SW of the horseshoe pit area near the NE corner of Golden Gate Park (Stanyon and Fulton). To the south of the pit (and above the rock mural of the horseshoer) is a hill with two large Monterey Pines. Best to stand on this hill and look into the Eucalyptus to the east, and the pines on the hill. It has also been seen in the surrounding oaks in previous days.

We'll post photos soon on eBird.

Peter

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:25 PM <<mailto:rosemary@...>rosemary@...> wrote:
What use is this to anyone  … where or what is h.p?

On Jan 30, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Rudyard Wallen <<mailto:arelist12@...>arelist12@...> wrote:

just south of the h.s. Pit

via Cher Ami

rosemary@...

Thank you so much, Dominik and Peter, for such clarity.

I’m a neophyte over here in the East Bay and have little to no experience of places within Golden Gate Park, the Botanical Gardens, The Presidio, Chrissy Fields and many of the other places that San Francisco's seasoned birders talk about, so abbreviations are most often a mystery to me.

Rosemary

On Jan 30, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

[...]

What use is this to anyone
where or what is h.p?