Topics

Red-Footed Booby, Crissy Field

Aaron Maizlish

Judging by the photos on eBird, this Red-footed Booby really appears to be the same individual that’s been seen on the Farallon Islands for the last few weeks.

The SE Farallon team did not record the booby there today - the first day it has gone missing since late October.

That tells me that this bird hasn’t been in the city very long, and may decide to shuttle back and forth.

Aaron Maizlish

On Nov 8, 2019, at 2:22 PM, Abe Borker <abeborker@...> wrote:

I have just received a second-hand report of a Red-footed Booby on the pier by the Sanctuary office on Crissy Field.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM William Grant <wbgrant@...> wrote:
Seen at the top plaza, first on top of shrubs in the "island" at the W end,
then flying a few yards north. Posting at ebird.org.
Bill

Brian Fitch

The Red-footed Booby is on the old pilings just north of the Coast Guard Pier, which is at the west end of Crissey Field in the Presidio, and just south of the Warming Hut.  It isn't easy to see from land if its head is tucked in sleep, and the pier is technically of-limits, but at least it's not toxic like Hunter's Point.  Most observers are entering the pier gate for excellent viewing.

The bird was reported around 1:40 only on eBird, which shows again why that platform needs to have headlines or titles to its reports, instead of only reporter's name, the locale, and numerical values.  Quality of sighting is ignored the way it currently is formatted, which is ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Thank you Abe Borker, for getting the report into the mainstream.
Brian Fitch

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Abe Borker <abeborker@...> wrote:
I have just received a second-hand report of a Red-footed Booby on the pier by the Sanctuary office on Crissy Field.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM William Grant <wbgrant@...> wrote:
Seen at the top plaza, first on top of shrubs in the "island" at the W end,
then flying a few yards north. Posting at ebird.org.
Bill

Adam Winer

Also, one Cackling Goose in the large flock of Canada Geese at the east end of the lawn.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 16:24 C Lou <cdlou37@...> wrote:
The booby is on the abandon pier still. Sleeping.

Calvin Lou
SF

I have just received a second-hand report of a Red-footed Booby on the pier by the Sanctuary office on Crissy Field.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM William Grant <wbgrant@...> wrote:
Seen at the top plaza, first on top of shrubs in the "island" at the W end,
then flying a few yards north. Posting at ebird.org.
Bill

Brian Fitch

Red footed booby yes
Brian Fitch

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:22 PM Abe Borker <abeborker@...> wrote:
I have just received a second-hand report of a Red-footed Booby on the pier by the Sanctuary office on Crissy Field.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:50 PM William Grant <wbgrant@...> wrote:
Seen at the top plaza, first on top of shrubs in the "island" at the W end,
then flying a few yards north. Posting at ebird.org.
Bill

Abe Borker