Topics

Ferry / Sue Bierman Park - Black-throated Green Warbler

Jack Hayden

You're welcome Pat! I just returned from the park and also had some fleeting views of the Black-Throated Green Warbler. One of the sapsuckers looks good for a Red Naped x Red Breasted Hybrid: distinct black and white face stripe overlaid with some touches of red, red limited to throat, upper breast, and crown and nape of head, white stripe extending behind eye discernible. I'll have to look at my images later. A continuing House Wren was heard in the western section of the park and a Varied Thrush was present.

Jack Hayden
Albany

Patricia Mahoney

I spent a pleasant 1.5 hours looking for the Black-throated Green Warbler today. It appeared at 12:10 PM, low in the poplars next to the maintenance yard, close to Drumm St.

Earlier, two Red-breasted Sapsuckers flew into the spindly sycamore tree on the sidewalk next to the public restroom. Townsend’s Warblers, Yellow-rumps, Ruby-crowned Kinglets (chasing each other and displaying ruby crowns!), Anna’s Hummingbirds (chasing everyone), a Black Phoebe, one robin, a calling flicker and the famous parrots, made the rounds, too.

Birder, Nico, shared the Black-throated Green Warbler’s visit: yay! Thanks, Birder-photographers, for the excellent photos. Thanks, again, Jack, for leading me to another pretty Warbler!

Besides the usual urban hum, a man with a decent voice was singing opera arias under the south-side poplars.

Pat Mahoney
Hayward

On Oct 22, 2019, at 10:13 AM, Jack Hayden <jellsworthhayden@...> wrote:

I had the same experience where the bird was feeding low in the tree and then I couldn't relocate for the next fifteen minutes, despite other birds remaining active. You can view my OK pictures here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60827245

Jack Hayden
Albany, CA

Jack Hayden

I had the same experience where the bird was feeding low in the tree and then I couldn't relocate for the next fifteen minutes, despite other birds remaining active. You can view my OK pictures here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S60827245

Jack Hayden
Albany, CA

Teale Fristoe

Jack's black-throated green warbler continued in the same stand of poplars this morning. These trees are near the public toilet. The bird was seen fairly low in good light for a good minute before it disappeared and we could not relocate it.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 2:34 PM Jack Hayden <jellsworthhayden@...> wrote:
Today around 1:30 I found a Black-throated Green Warbler in the stand of six poplars just east of Drumm Street in the Eastern section of the park. There were several Yellow-rumped Warblers it was loosely associating with, and when I first saw it it was in pretty high in the tree. The warblers tend to follow the sun in this building-shaded park. I have decent photos of this female/immature warbler which I'll put on eBird later. A Red-breasted Sapsucker was also in this stand.

Jack Hayden
Albany, CA

Jack Hayden