Topics

Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)

Ken Schneider

Hi all,

I had brief looks and managed a single photo of an immature Black-legged Kittiwake seen just offshore from the Cliff House at about 0815 this morning.  A bit more detail at my eBird checklist here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096

I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field guides I checked... comments welcome.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley

Peter Pyle

Hi all -

This could be a first-year Red-legged Kittiwake. Worth looking into in any case. Not many photos on line of underwings of RLKI but here's one that shows a similar pattern:

https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg

Both the primary coevrts and the tertial area being marked dark. By contrast I can't find a BLKI with either. February is the month for RLKI in CA.

Thought it worth mentioning in case others want to go look for it.

Peter

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096

I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field guides I checked... comments welcome.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley

John Sterling

good call, Peter
I’ve never seen an immature black-legged kittiwake with those underwing patterns.

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

PO Box 1653
Woodland, CA 95776A

530 908-3836
jsterling@...
www.sterlingbirds.com

On Feb 2, 2019, at 2:05 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Morlan

Interesting possibility. My understanding is that immature Red-legged
Kittiwake does not have a "broad, dark hind collar" or a dark tip to the
tail.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Alvaro Jaramillo

Looks like it has a black tail tip, eliminating Red-legged. It also does not look to have the contrast expected on secondaries and inner primaries that Red-legged would show.

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

[...]

Thanks Joe and Al -

You are probably correct. All of my seabird reference books are boxed up at the moment so all I had was on-line images. There are some of young and winter adult RLKI that appear to show dark tail tips and/or hind collars:

https://www.birds-of-north-america.net/images/Red-legged_Kittiwake-12.jpg
http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/redlegged_2.jpg
https://www.naturepl.com/cache/pcache/08135133.jpg

but at least the dark-tipped tails are probably mis-identified BLKIs (e.g., 3rd photo above) as I recall this field mark now that you mention it.

Hard to explain this as oiling, especially the primary coverts, but perhaps this is what it is.

Peter

<mailto:jsterling@...>jsterling@...
www.sterlingbirds.com

<https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg>https://www.birdguides-cdn.com/cdn/gallery/birds/Red-leggedKittiwakeFlyte1stS5Commanders1106.jpg

<<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52301096

I think the photo supports my ID, but I'm a little puzzled by the apparent dark markings on the underside of the left wing (perhaps the primary coverts?), which I don't see as expected in the field guides I checked... comments welcome.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley

[]
Virus-free. <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>www.avg.com

Peter Pyle

although, come to think of it, could the tail tip (also) be oiled? P

At 04:20 PM 2/2/2019, Peter Pyle wrote:
[...]

Yes, the third photo you sent is of a Black-legged Kittiwake. Structurally the legs are too long, eye too small, and bill too large. On plumage the mantle is too pale, and the wing markings more intense than on Red-legged.

alvaro@...

<<mailto:ppyle@...>ppyle@...> wrote:

[...]

---
https://www.avg.com