Topics

Smoke effects on birds

Roberta Guise

All,

Could the smoke be affecting birds? We’ve been blanketed with smoke for a week now. What kinds of cumulative effects could there be in birds’ lungs?

Curiously birding,
Roberta

Roberta Guise
415-420-6276

Guise Marketing + PR
Executive branding to be visible, add value, and change
the way people think

http://www.guisemarketing.com    @robertaguise

linkedin.com/in/robertaguise

President, IMC USA NorCal Chapter
Institute of Management Consultants USA
http://www.imcusa.org/

Delegate representing San Francisco and speaker at the
UN Commission on the Status of Women

On Nov 16, 2018, at 4:41 PM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur@...> wrote:

This afternoon (11/16/18) the BLACK&WHITE Warbler, first reported on 10/31 by Dave Weber, continued in myoporums, acacias, and Eucalyptus along the main trail from the parking lot at Middle Lake in Golden Gate Park. On 11/8 there was a Nashville Warbler here, and I think I heard it call a few times today as well but never got a look. Earlier , a Spotted Towhee at Elk Glen was a very rare sighting for Golden Gate Park and maybe the first one I've ever observed in the park. On 11/9 the Elk Glen Sparrow flock included (2) White-throated and (2-3) Lincoln's Sparrows. The Lincs were still here today but no sign of the White-throats.

On 11/12, there were good counts of (102) Killdeer and (27) Black-bellied Plovers on Sunset Reservoir as well as at least one continuing Western Meadowlark.

Be sure to wear a N95 respirator or similar protective equipment if you get outside for extended periods the next couple of days especially if you suffer from asthma or similar breathing issues. Better yet, stay inside.

Rain and onshore winds are supposed to come in later next week and hopefully will improve air quality.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Roberta Guise

Could mean they’re preserving energy, easier to see carrion, and (my final nutcase guess) thermals too erratic to ride.

-Roberta
415-420-6276

Roberta Guise
Sent from mobile so excuse
typos and errant autofills

On Nov 16, 2018, at 18:06, Daniel Harper <dharperino@...> wrote:

We were at Colusa NWR yesterday and were noticing that many turkey vultures were on the ground and few were soaring in the air.  Probably means nothing but it caught our interest.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018, 5:21 PM Roberta Guise <roberta@... wrote:
[...]

noreen_weeden

Still hearing and seeing the expected species in the east side of the City neighborhood (American Robin, Yellow-rumped Warblers, American Crow)

Golden Gate Audubon has been conducting bird monitoring in San Francisco.  The monitoring will be conducted through November just like the Lights Out for Birds During Migration program.

There is an app which can be used by anyone to record data and take a photo of an injured or dead bird. You can use this if you observe something that appears to be a result of fire or smoke as there is a comment section.

Below is information to install the app.  There are paper forms for people that prefer not to add something to their mobile phone.

Download Survey123 on your mobile phone
Then open this version called GGAS. The link to the survey is: https://arcg.is/zDGvu.
Allow access to location and photos (this is for GPS location and bird photos)

Eddie Bartley

Please do keep on the lookout for unusual or unexpected sightings.

A friend sent a photo of an uninjured looking Common Poorwill that ended up in a private garden in El Sobrante two days ago. No way to know if that occurrence is wildfire related but an unusual sighting for sure. Birds that did flee the wildfire areas will be needing to find new winter territories late in the season for some of them at least.

Eddie Bartley