1st Annual Swift Watch

Mark W. Eaton <mweaton@...>

Enough (Calvin, Kevin, Rich, Paul and I) of us showed up this morning on Mt.
Davidson for the event to be dubbed as above. Results were only so-so
compared to yesterday (of course) with a cumulative of 28 VAUX'S SWIFTs seen
in three different groups, according to my notes. No other swift sp. were
seen.

Other than the regular migrants and residents listed below, the only other
bird of note was the continuing HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, now continuing for
over a week. I'd guess this is some sort of record for SF. I'll try to get
photos up when I get this roll developed.

At Lake Merced, the best species was a GOPHER SNAKE that Kevin found
swimming north of the concrete bridge and we watched in amazement as it swam
all the way across the lake basically to our feet west of the concrete
bridge. I managed full frame photos of the entire snake in the water and
photos of the head and upper body from about 8' (with a 600mm lens) from
shore.

PIED-BILLED GREBES have succesfully fledged and a DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT
was carrying nesting material at Lake Merced.

Mark

5.20 Mt. Davidson
YEWA
WIWA
BUOR
SWTH
OSFL
BHGR
BTPI
WEWP
WETA
LAZB
CEDW
HAFL
TOWA
VASW
VGSW
LEGO
Lake Merced
Gopher Snake
PUFI
COYE
PBGR (juv.)
BCNH
--
Mark Eaton mailto:mweaton@pacbell.net
SFBirds Web Page http://home.pacbell.net/mweaton

"Leaders should lead as far as they can then vanish. Their ashes
should not choke the fire they have lit."

- H.G. Wells (1866-1946)

David Armstrong

--- "Mark W. Eaton" <mweaton@pacbell.net> wrote:

PIED-BILLED GREBES have succesfully fledged and a
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT
was carrying nesting material at Lake Merced.
At North Lake, as well, there were 3 juvenile
pied-billed grebes last night, at the south side of
the lake.

http://im.yahoo.com/