From: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Carozza mike.carozza@gmail.com [SFBirds]
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:27 AM
To: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak and Turkey continue

Grosbeak in a long needle white pine across the path and lower than the original green berry tree it was in. Pretty shy. Also a big fat turkey. Not banded.

Ken Copen

Having spent the morning with him, i will say he was remarkably silent. I was surprised by how quiet he was compared to black-headed and rose-breasted's i've seen, that have always been very vocal. I was a little disappointed not to have heard his call, but at least got a few pics. From: "'Alvaro Jaramillo' chucao@coastside.net [SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> To: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:52 PM Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak - get recordings? SF Birders If that Evening Grosbeak is being vocal, it would be cool if someone could record calls and upload to eBird and or Xenocanto. Just like Red Crossbills, Evening Grosbeaks have vocal “types.” I recall there are about 4 of them, with 3 possible in the West. The Evening Grosbeak is a little less confusing than the crossbills, as different call types have separate breeding ranges. But in the non-breeding period they can be found in the same places. I am sure there is some spot where you can download the various call types to have a reference, but don’t know that for sure offhand. Good birding, Alvaro Alvaro Jaramillo <mailto:alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@alvarosadventures.com www.alvarosadventures.com From: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Carozza mike.carozza@gmail.com [SFBirds] Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:27 AM To: SFBirds@yahoogroups.com Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak and Turkey continue Grosbeak in a long needle white pine across the path and lower than the original green berry tree it was in. Pretty shy. Also a big fat turkey. Not banded.

Ken Schneider

Hi all,

The bird was silent when I saw it today, but apparently it has been vocalizing at times.

If anyone gets a recording (even a low quality smartphone recording may be sufficient), Aaron Haiman, a graduate student who works on Evening Grosbeak vocalizations, has been kind enough to ID the call type from recordings for me in the past.  Feel free to contact me offline if anyone gets a recording.

Good birding,
Ken Schneider
Noe Valley

Brian Fitch

For what it's worth, I was in the eastern Sierras last weekend, west of Bridgeport, and heard multiple Evening Grosbeaks calling.  The strident, downslurred pheeuw! call I heard today seemed an exact match.

Brian Fitch

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Ken Copen kencopen@... [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply@...> wrote:

Having spent the morning with him, i will say he was remarkably silent. I was surprised by how quiet he was compared to black-headed and rose-breasted's i've seen, that have always been very vocal. I was a little disappointed not to have heard his call, but at least got a few pics. From: "'Alvaro Jaramillo' chucao@... [SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> To: SFBirds@... Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 12:52 PM Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak - get recordings? SF Birders If that Evening Grosbeak is being vocal, it would be cool if someone could record calls and upload to eBird and or Xenocanto. Just like Red Crossbills, Evening Grosbeaks have vocal “types.” I recall there are about 4 of them, with 3 possible in the West. The Evening Grosbeak is a little less confusing than the crossbills, as different call types have separate breeding ranges. But in the non-breeding period they can be found in the same places. I am sure there is some spot where you can download the various call types to have a reference, but don’t know that for sure offhand. Good birding, Alvaro Alvaro Jaramillo alvaro@alvarosadventures.com> alvaro@... www.alvarosadventures.com From: SFBirds@... [mailto:SFBirds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Carozza mike.carozza@... [SFBirds] Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:27 AM To: SFBirds@... Subject: [SFBirds] Evening Grosbeak and Turkey continue Grosbeak in a long needle white pine across the path and lower than the original green berry tree it was in. Pretty shy. Also a big fat turkey. Not banded. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Alvaro Jaramillo

Brian,

But what type of Evening Grosbeak were you listening to in the Sierras?

Here is an article on the call types

http://ebird.org/content/me/news/evening-grosbeak-flight-call-types-how-much-overlap-occurs/

Up in Klamath I have recorded type 1, and type 2 in the very same spot.

Examples of the call types here

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/1601