Date   
Re: Common gallinule

Brian Fitch
 

Sorry to go Old World nominal on you, forgot about the split. 

I miss the days when three city lifers could happen in a week for me, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Brian


On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:26 PM Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish@...> wrote:
The Common Gallinule (neé Moorhen) reported by Brian Fitch this morning is present at the NE corner of the concrete bridge though it is not at all cooperative.

Deep in the reeds about 20’ north of the bridge, I could t see more than 20% of it at any one time.  Nonetheless saw enough of the brown back, white stripe and General sIze and shape to satisfy myself. It’s moving around a lot so bound to come out in the open occasionally.

I’ve been very sick with the flu all week, but thankfully a steady diet of rarities keeps me getting out.  Along with the skimmers and the cattle egret this is my third SF county bird this week!  Keep ‘em coming.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco



Allen's Invasion; Unusual call

Richard Bradus
 

Hi all

They have arrived in force. On a beautiful mid-morning amble through the East Wash there were at least six Allen's Hummingbirds (and only three Anna's!), with lots of activity. There were the usual skirmishes, a male was repeatedly doing its display flights in the lower glade, and I saw one female gathering and carrying away nesting material but, alas, was not able to follow her flight to the nest.

I also heard a call that I couldn't identify while surveying the mid level plateau. It was a coarse bzzzzzzzt that I first thought was a Bewick's Wren, but the call was louder and harsher than the usual buzz call from that species. As the call was repeated a couple of times from a couple of different proximate locations the only bird that I could see in the immediate apparent originating point of the call was a somewhat frantic looking Robin. Now, robins make a lot of different calls, but I've never heard one buzz or rattle before, so I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?

Richard Bradus
San Francisco

Orchard Oriole and Blue Gray Gnatcatcher at Fort Mason

David Assmann
 

A BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER was in the Avocado tree on the north side of the garden at Fort Mason this morning, not far from where the ORCHARD ORIOLE was sitting (in an adjacent tree) preening. This afernoon I walked part of Ocean Beach, where I counted 26 SNOWY PLOVERS - a number of these are starting to turn into alternate plumage.

Belated Report - Rufous Hummingbird at Fort Mason

David Assmann
 

On Tuesday morning there was a male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD at Fort Mason.

Long-tailed duck baker beach

Josiah Clark
 

Way more scoters and diving birds continue off baker beach with the high water and recent storms.
Late in the day I brought the scope out and quickly spotted an adult male long-tailed duck a couple hundred yards out from the middle of the beach. After I showed it to Parke Custis and a couple others, it flew off and joined a scorer raft off of lands end. I didn’t see it today but the Red-necked grebe continued into last week after I found it. Good luck!

EASTERN PHOEBE Twin Peaks 2/23/2019

 

An Eastern Phoebe perched up in a coyote bush along the trail at north end of Crestline Street/below -southeast of the Twin Peaks Tourist Loop for about 2 minutes just now. It flushed when I tried to approach for a closer look/documentation phonebin image and looked to fly up slope.

I'll be up here for another 15-20 minutes looking and wanted to get the word out. Maybe the bird Josiah had at Lobos Creek making little leaps in habitat locally? Or just a good February for Eastern Phoebes in the City.

Good luck,
Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Re: EASTERN PHOEBE Twin Peaks 2/23/2019

 

Phoebe is hanging out. Disappears for stretches, two Black Phoebes are also at the spot.

It's probably possible to get distant looks from the Twin Peaks walking loop above, but to get better looks try the trail at end of Crestline.

Good Luck,

Dominik

On Feb 23, 2019, at 12:19, Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <dominikmosur=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

An Eastern Phoebe perched up in a coyote bush along the trail at north end of Crestline Street/below -southeast of the Twin Peaks Tourist Loop for about 2 minutes just now. It flushed when I tried to approach for a closer look/documentation phonebin image and looked to fly up slope.

I'll be up here for another 15-20 minutes looking and wanted to get the word out. Maybe the bird Josiah had at Lobos Creek making little leaps in habitat locally? Or just a good February for Eastern Phoebes in the City.

Good luck,
Dominik Mosur
San Francisco


Re: EASTERN PHOEBE Twin Peaks 2/23/2019

Lee-Hong Chang
 

At 2:05 pm, I saw the EASTERN PHOEBE along Crestline Dr. trail (37.75412, -122.44591) behind 140 Gardenside Dr. for about 2 minutes. Then, it disappeared and I could not refind it.

Lee Chang
SF


On Saturday, February 23, 2019, 12:39:52 PM PST, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur@...> wrote:


Phoebe is hanging out. Disappears for stretches, two Black Phoebes are also at the spot.

It's probably possible to get distant looks from the Twin Peaks walking loop above, but to get better looks try the trail at end of Crestline.

Good Luck,

Dominik
> On Feb 23, 2019, at 12:19, Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <dominikmosur=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> An Eastern Phoebe perched up in a coyote bush along the trail at north end of Crestline Street/below -southeast of the Twin Peaks Tourist Loop for about 2 minutes just now. It flushed when I tried to approach for a closer look/documentation phonebin image and looked to fly up slope.
>
> I'll be up here for another 15-20 minutes looking and wanted to get the word out. Maybe the bird Josiah had at Lobos Creek making little leaps in habitat locally? Or just a good February for Eastern Phoebes in the City.
>
> Good luck,
> Dominik Mosur
> San Francisco
>
>
>


Long-tailed Duck continues at Baker Beach (24 Feb)

Ken Schneider
 

Currently with scoter raft off north end of beach at 1030.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider 
Noe Valley 

Re: Long-tailed Duck continues at Baker Beach (24 Feb)

Brian Turner
 

LT Duck being seen now, refound by Lee Hong Chang at about 3pm and affording great looks.  In with a large group of scoter flock at north end of Baker Beach by the washed up sailboat. 

Good birding, Brian

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 10:28 AM Ken Schneider <kschnei1@...> wrote:
Currently with scoter raft off north end of beach at 1030.

Good birding!
Ken Schneider 
Noe Valley 

Common Gallinule, Lake Merced

Peter Pyle
 

The gallinule, first found by Brian Fitch on 22 Feb, was observed today at about 3:45. It was skirting the back edge of the semi-open area of water about 40 feet west of the NE corner of the concrete bridge, to the left of the bleached white willow snag in the water but to the right of the live willow that comes up to the bridge railing, about 25 feet out from the bridge. When Rudy and I arrived it was being observed by Max Laura and his son Mark, who apparently first spotted the bird, and Jeff Gray. Jeff's and my photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53111316
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53116419

As I wrote in my eBird checklist,

"My guess is a second-cycle bird - examination of photos indicates broad and basic (rather than juvenile) primaries and rectrices but bill shield is dull and not fully developed. By this date in Feb an older bird should have brighter red-and-yellow bill and broader more developed red shield (see photos)."

Flyover Townsend's Solitaire near Tank Hill, 2/24/19

Paul Saraceni
 

This afternoon around 2:45 I was near Tank Hill above Cole Valley and I observed a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE flying by itself just over the houses near the intersection of Clayton Street & Twin Peaks Boulevard. It showed its boldly-marked underwing and longish tail. It was flying SW and headed out of view in the general direction of Twin Peaks.


Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Long Tailed Duck continues

David Assmann
 

Swimming close to shore at Baker Beach

Re: Common Gallinule, Lake Merced

Bob Toleno
 

I saw the Common Gallinule this morning at a little after 7am in exactly the spot that Peter described. It was fairly well hidden in the reeds, so i had to wait until it moved a little before i could find it.

Bob Toleno
Hayward


On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 6:48 PM Peter Pyle <ppyle@...> wrote:
The gallinule, first found by Brian Fitch on 22 Feb, was observed
today at about 3:45. It was skirting the back edge of the semi-open
area of water about 40 feet west of the NE corner of the concrete
bridge, to the left of the bleached white willow snag in the water
but to the right of the live willow that comes up to the bridge
railing, about 25 feet out from the bridge. When Rudy and I arrived
it was being observed by Max Laura and his son Mark, who apparently
first spotted the bird, and Jeff Gray. Jeff's and my photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53111316
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53116419

As I wrote in my eBird checklist,

"My guess is a second-cycle bird - examination of photos indicates
broad and basic (rather than juvenile) primaries and rectrices but
bill shield is dull and not fully developed. By this date in Feb an
older bird should have brighter red-and-yellow bill and broader more
developed red shield (see photos)."






Civic Center Mew Gulls

Smokey Bear
 

Mew Gulls have been a steady presence in Civic Center this winter.
They really like the northeast square of lawn during the rain, and I
count as many as 35 massed up on this one patch, looking for worms or
grubs, I presume. Today there were 20. I'm not sure why but the other
three patches of lawn don't attract them at all. I believe numbers of
Mew Gulls are up sharply this year over the last few years, when I
counted just 5 or so at any one time and only saw them for a few
weeks.

Anna

Orchard Oriole and tree removal at Fort Mason

David Assmann
 

Pretty much the expected birds at Fort Mason this morning with the ORCHARD ORIOLE and a ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER in the garden, a BUFFLEHEAD and a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER in the Aquatic Park, and an ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD on the hillside above Aquatic Park. However, a Park Service employee told me that massive tree removal is about to start in the Battery at Fort Mason, with 19 Eucalyptus trees slated for removal between now and March 8th, which will completely change the character of the Battery, and probably will reduce its suitability as a stopover point for migrating birds.

Long Tailed Duck Continues

David Assmann
 

At Baker Beach, but further out than earlier this week.

Re: Orchard Oriole and tree removal at Fort Mason

Bob Hall
 

David: Is the Fort Mason planting plan available somewhere? I think the habitat will actually improve if they plan to replant with coffeeberry, toyons, silk tassel, etc. If you hear of a public meeting on this, please let me know.

Here’s an interesting blurb on toyon from author Kate Marianchild:

"Toyon contributes nectar and pollen for at least 27 native bee species, including leaf cutter and resin bees, digger bees, carpenter bees bumblebees, cellophane bees and mason bees. It provides nectar for hover flies, monarchs, California Sister butterflies, mourning cloaks, Anna’s hummingbird and various beetles and ants. Toyon is the larval host for at least 50 species and it provides seeds and berries for multiple birds, including thrushes, cedar waxwings and finches. Hutton’s vireo, orange-crowned warblers, California towee and several other birds use the tree for nesting."


Since this is a birding sighting forum: robins and waxwings are in huge mobs in my neighbor’s back yards. The most I can remember.

Bob Hall
SF

--
Bob Hall
San Francisco, CA
"There is no better high than discovery." - E.O. Wilson

Eastern Phoebe continues in Twin Peaks Natural Area 2/28/2019

 

Same area as last week, trail from north end of Crestline, or look down from Twin Peaks onto the draw below the restrooms.

Good luck,
Dominik

Long tailed duck and 2 Red-necked grebes

Josiah Clark
 

The long tail duck continues with the flock at the north end of the beach just passed Breakers. Two red-necked 
 grebes were a few hundred yards offshore by the first parking lot.
At a job site in Pacific Heights pine siskins continue to be loyal to a feeder at a 3rd story windows. We did not see the Wilson’s Warbler spotted by Cedric there last month. 

On Apr 10, 2018, at 5:53 PM, SFBirds <SFBirds@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

The owner of the SFBirds Yahoo Group has moved the group to Groups.io, a new Groups service. You have been subscribed to the new group using your email address josiah.clark621@.... The title of the new group is Birding in San Francisco, and messages can be sent to it at SFBirds@groups.io. The group homepage is located here.

Groups at Groups.io are similar to Yahoo Groups, but we have several new features and we encourage you to explore the Groups.io website. If you have never registered with Groups.io before, your account will not have a password set yet. To log in, you can use the 'Email me a link to login' button to have a link emailed to you that will let you log into the website.

You do not have to do anything to continue being a member of this group. If you do not wish to be a member of SFBirds, click here to unsubscribe and you will be unsubscribed immediately.

NOTE: You have also been added to the Groups.io updates group. The updates group occasionally sends out updates about the Groups.io service.

If you have any questions, please contact support@groups.io.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team