Date   
Palm Warbler at Lake Merced

David Assmann
 

At least one PALM WARBLER continued this morning west of the boathouse at Lake Merced.

Thursday presentation and west side barn owls

Josiah Clark
 

As I am putting the finishing touches on a presentation for Golden Gate Audubon tomorrow night, I keep hearing a barn out the window. I have been observing them often of late, with one night up to three individuals around the 17th ave palm trees. I also saw one along Park Presidio going through the park diving down on a rat last night. Tonight just one along with the local pair of great horned owls. A decade ago this species was considerably rarer in the city. Very cool that these days they are breeding in the city. I suspect many of the ones around my neighborhood are migrants.

The presentation is called Habitat Potential Birding Tactics. I am including a little bit of everything including birding adventure photos and videos, strategies to maximize Christmas Bird and Big Day Counts and some local bird natural history videos and knowledge.
Doors at 6:30, presentation 7 PM first Unitarian church 1187 Franklin St.

Re: Thursday presentation and west side barn owls

kim
 

Thankx for the sighting info. I have never seen a Barn Owl, where on 17th? Thinking of palms, Lake st? What time if evening are you seeing them?

Thank you
Kim in SF

On November 14, 2018, at 11:39 PM, Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621@...> wrote:

As I am putting the finishing touches on a presentation for Golden Gate Audubon tomorrow night, I keep hearing a barn out the window. I have been observing them often of late, with one night up to three individuals around the 17th ave palm trees. I also saw one along Park Presidio going through the park diving down on a rat last night. Tonight just one along with the local pair of great horned owls. A decade ago this species was considerably rarer in the city. Very cool that these days they are breeding in the city. I suspect many of the ones around my neighborhood are migrants.

The presentation is called Habitat Potential Birding Tactics. I am including a little bit of everything including birding adventure photos and videos, strategies to maximize Christmas Bird and Big Day Counts and some local bird natural history videos and knowledge.
Doors at 6:30, presentation 7 PM first Unitarian church 1187 Franklin St.

barn owls

ben
 

I hear a barn owl scream most nights roughly 1 hour past dark in the
lower haight around pierce / page

Thankx for the sighting info. I have never seen a Barn Owl, where on
17th? Thinking of palms, Lake st? What time if evening are you
seeing them?

Ross's Goose, Greater White-Fronted Goose, Cackling Goose and Hooded Oriole

David Assmann
 

Four species of geese at Crissy Field this morning. A GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE was on the lawn with nine CACKLING GOOSE.  CANADA GEESE were in the Lagoon, and a ROSS'S GOOSE was near the bridge along with many BROWN PELICANS (there were at least 400 in the Lagoon). A HOODED ORIOLE and a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW were in the Community Garden at Fort Mason.

Air pollution map for SF

William Grant
 

Just found this URL showing PM2.5 pollution (particles less than 2.5 microns), the most dangerous particulate matter since they are most likely to lodge in the lungs.

https://www.purpleair.com/map#12/37.76002/-122.4149

Birders who do venture out in these conditions may want to wear masks.

Bill

cont. Black-and-White Warbler et al.

 

This afternoon (11/16/18) the BLACK&WHITE Warbler, first reported on 10/31 by Dave Weber, continued in myoporums, acacias, and Eucalyptus along the main trail from the parking lot at Middle Lake in Golden Gate Park. On 11/8 there was a Nashville Warbler here, and I think I heard it call a few times today as well but never got a look. Earlier , a Spotted Towhee at Elk Glen was a very rare sighting for Golden Gate Park and maybe the first one I've ever observed in the park. On 11/9 the Elk Glen Sparrow flock included (2) White-throated and (2-3) Lincoln's Sparrows. The Lincs were still here today but no sign of the White-throats.

On 11/12, there were good counts of (102) Killdeer and (27) Black-bellied Plovers on Sunset Reservoir as well as at least one continuing Western Meadowlark.

Be sure to wear a N95 respirator or similar protective equipment if you get outside for extended periods the next couple of days especially if you suffer from asthma or similar breathing issues. Better yet, stay inside.

Rain and onshore winds are supposed to come in later next week and hopefully will improve air quality.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Smoke effects on birds

Roberta Guise
 

All,

Could the smoke be affecting birds? We’ve been blanketed with smoke for a week now. What kinds of cumulative effects could there be in birds’ lungs?

Curiously birding,
Roberta

Roberta Guise
415-420-6276

**********************************************************************

Guise Marketing + PR
Executive branding to be visible, add value, and change
the way people think 

http://www.guisemarketing.com    @robertaguise 

linkedin.com/in/robertaguise

President, IMC USA NorCal Chapter
Institute of Management Consultants USA
http://www.imcusa.org/  

Delegate representing San Francisco and speaker at the
UN Commission on the Status of Women

**********************************************************************







On Nov 16, 2018, at 4:41 PM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur@...> wrote:

This afternoon (11/16/18) the BLACK&WHITE Warbler, first reported on 10/31 by Dave Weber, continued in myoporums, acacias, and Eucalyptus along the main trail from the parking lot at Middle Lake in Golden Gate Park. On 11/8 there was a Nashville Warbler here, and I think I heard it call a few times today as well but never got a look. Earlier , a Spotted Towhee at Elk Glen was a very rare sighting for Golden Gate Park and maybe the first one I've ever observed in the park. On 11/9 the Elk Glen Sparrow flock included (2) White-throated and (2-3) Lincoln's Sparrows. The Lincs were still here today but no sign of the White-throats.

On 11/12, there were good counts of (102) Killdeer and (27) Black-bellied Plovers on Sunset Reservoir as well as at least one continuing Western Meadowlark.

Be sure to wear a N95 respirator or similar protective equipment if you get outside for extended periods the next couple of days especially if you suffer from asthma or similar breathing issues. Better yet, stay inside.

Rain and onshore winds are supposed to come in later next week and hopefully will improve air quality.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco




Re: Smoke effects on birds

Roberta Guise
 

Could mean they’re preserving energy, easier to see carrion, and (my final nutcase guess) thermals too erratic to ride. 

-Roberta
415-420-6276

Roberta Guise
Sent from mobile so excuse
typos and errant autofills 

On Nov 16, 2018, at 18:06, Daniel Harper <dharperino@...> wrote:

We were at Colusa NWR yesterday and were noticing that many turkey vultures were on the ground and few were soaring in the air.  Probably means nothing but it caught our interest. 

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018, 5:21 PM Roberta Guise <roberta@... wrote:
All,

Could the smoke be affecting birds? We’ve been blanketed with smoke for a week now. What kinds of cumulative effects could there be in birds’ lungs?

Curiously birding,
Roberta

Roberta Guise
415-420-6276

**********************************************************************

Guise Marketing + PR
Executive branding to be visible, add value, and change
the way people think 

http://www.guisemarketing.com    @robertaguise 

linkedin.com/in/robertaguise

President, IMC USA NorCal Chapter
Institute of Management Consultants USA
http://www.imcusa.org/  

Delegate representing San Francisco and speaker at the
UN Commission on the Status of Women

**********************************************************************







On Nov 16, 2018, at 4:41 PM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur@...> wrote:

This afternoon (11/16/18) the BLACK&WHITE Warbler, first reported on 10/31 by Dave Weber, continued in myoporums, acacias, and Eucalyptus along the main trail from the parking lot at Middle Lake in Golden Gate Park. On 11/8 there was a Nashville Warbler here, and I think I heard it call a few times today as well but never got a look. Earlier , a Spotted Towhee at Elk Glen was a very rare sighting for Golden Gate Park and maybe the first one I've ever observed in the park. On 11/9 the Elk Glen Sparrow flock included (2) White-throated and (2-3) Lincoln's Sparrows. The Lincs were still here today but no sign of the White-throats.

On 11/12, there were good counts of (102) Killdeer and (27) Black-bellied Plovers on Sunset Reservoir as well as at least one continuing Western Meadowlark.

Be sure to wear a N95 respirator or similar protective equipment if you get outside for extended periods the next couple of days especially if you suffer from asthma or similar breathing issues. Better yet, stay inside.

Rain and onshore winds are supposed to come in later next week and hopefully will improve air quality.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco




Re: Smoke effects on birds

noreen_weeden
 

Still hearing and seeing the expected species in the east side of the City neighborhood (American Robin, Yellow-rumped Warblers, American Crow)

Golden Gate Audubon has been conducting bird monitoring in San Francisco.  The monitoring will be conducted through November just like the Lights Out for Birds During Migration program.

There is an app which can be used by anyone to record data and take a photo of an injured or dead bird. You can use this if you observe something that appears to be a result of fire or smoke as there is a comment section.

Below is information to install the app.  There are paper forms for people that prefer not to add something to their mobile phone.

Download Survey123 on your mobile phone
Then open this version called GGAS. The link to the survey is: https://arcg.is/zDGvu.
Allow access to location and photos (this is for GPS location and bird photos)

Evening Grosbeaks over Noe Valley...yesterday.

bitanangan
 

Hi Birders,
      Sorry for belated report, but I needed time and caution for this to slowly sink in. Yesterday, about 2:35, while in our back yard at 23/Castro I heard a loud, once-familiar sound of chattering birds, then after a few seconds of searching the sky I briefly saw ~10 Evening Grosbeaks speeding north, but not long or clear enough to see any fine plumage details other than noting sounds and size. I actually heard the birds for 2-3 seconds before I saw them. After listening to a number of recorded calls, I found those sounds to closely match the sharp chortles of these chubby robin-sized birds flying over Noe Valley. They were almost certainly not anything else. Something to consider if watching a seed feeder (Some hosts call them evening “grocery-beaks” for their voracious appetites!) or birding places places with mature conifers like just up-the-road Buena Vista Park.
       It’s possible that we may see some mountain birds (finches?) pushed to wandering because of the tragic fires.
       Also: 2 Palm Warblers Friday, one found by Oscar Moss, continuing at the Yosemite Slough garden and a continuing Bewick’s Wren at Hillpoint Park above the HP shipyard.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Russ Bright
SF

Re: Smoke effects on birds

Eddie Bartley
 

Please do keep on the lookout for unusual or unexpected sightings.

 

A friend sent a photo of an uninjured looking Common Poorwill that ended up in a private garden in El Sobrante two days ago. No way to know if that occurrence is wildfire related but an unusual sighting for sure. Birds that did flee the wildfire areas will be needing to find new winter territories late in the season for some of them at least.

 

Eddie Bartley

Seawatch -- Horned Lark et al., 11/18/18

Paul Saraceni
 

With just a bit of clearer air and swing-around of winds (light SW) for a few hours, I did a midday seawatch (12-1:30 PM) from the south end of the Great Highway.


The highlight was not a seabird -- around 1 PM a calling HORNED LARK flew past me heading N over the beach. For a moment it looked like it would land on the sand but it kept flying N until out of view.


Hundreds of gulls were on the move N and on the ocean, mostly California Gulls, as well as good numbers of Mew Gulls, and small numbers of Western, Glaucous-winged (3), Herring (2), and Heermann's (4) Gulls.  There were also several big pulses of loons flying N.


Other observations of local interest:

N. SHOVELER 8 (single flock landed on the ocean for a bit, then flew N)

Greater Scaup 12 (single flock flying S)

Surf Scoter 38

Common Loon 8

Pacific Loon 120+ (most flying N)

Red-thr. Loon 350+ (most flying N)

Sanderling 250+

Common Murre 1


Paul Saraceni

San Francisco 

Fort Mason Local Interest - Hooded Oriole

David Assmann
 

A HOODED ORIOLE has now been in the Fort Mason Community Garden for five days, mostly in the southwest corner. A WHITE-THROATED and a LINCOLN'S SPARROW have been fairly easy to find in the garden as well the last two days. A HOUSE WREN continues in the garden as well. I was struck by the number of FOX SPARROWS in the garden this morning - at one point there were eight foraging within 10 feet of me, with a total of at least 15 in and around the garden. There were more Fox Sparrows than GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS! A Coyote was walking around the garden as well.

Ocean Beach LESSER BLACK-BACKED Gull 11/19/2018

 

This morning birding with Jonah Benningfield we covered the west end of Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach.

While walking the dunes above Lawton, Jonah picked out a distant 2nd cycle Gull that appeared to be a Lesser Black-backed.

A checklist with images will be posted shortly.

Unfortunately the bird flushed and wasn't relocated but it may be worthwhile for SF birders to check the Ocean Beach /Lake Merced and other west side Gull roosts today and in upcoming days.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

photos of Lesser Black-backed Gull and other notes 11/19/2018

 

Here's a link to the checklist with the photos:



Additional sightings of note today included :

Snowy Plovers - 27 roosting on Ocean Beach

Say's Phoebes - 2 at Polo Fields, singles at Beach Chalet and Ocean Beach north dunes

American Pipits - 15+ on Ocean Beach plus 1 over Beach Chalet, 4 at Polo fields

Golden-crowned Kinglets - continue with flock in cypresses south side of polo fields 

PALM WARBLER - in dunes above Ocean Beach at Kirkham

Western Meadowlarks - 3 in dunes on Ocean Beach

For what it's worth, I went back out this afternoon checking Ocean Beach and Lake Merced at the Boathouse. No gulls roosting at the beach but hundreds were circling overhead and settling to roost at Lake Merced.

Good luck,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco 

Re: photos of Lesser Black-backed Gull and other notes 11/19/2018

Peter Pyle
 

Interestingly the first record of LBBG for SF County (I believe) was recorded just a week ago on the Farallones:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49905257
The Ocean Beach bird is a year younger then the Farallon bird, so not the same. Great find Jonah and Dominik,

Peter

At 05:05 PM 11/19/2018, Dominik Mosur wrote:
Here's a link to the checklist with the photos:

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50057251>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50057251


Additional sightings of note today included :

Snowy Plovers - 27 roosting on Ocean Beach

Say's Phoebes - 2 at Polo Fields, singles at Beach Chalet and Ocean Beach north dunes

American Pipits - 15+ on Ocean Beach plus 1 over Beach Chalet, 4 at Polo fields

Golden-crowned Kinglets - continue with flock in cypresses south side of polo fields

PALM WARBLER - in dunes above Ocean Beach at Kirkham

Western Meadowlarks - 3 in dunes on Ocean Beach

For what it's worth, I went back out this afternoon checking Ocean Beach and Lake Merced at the Boathouse. No gulls roosting at the beach but hundreds were circling overhead and settling to roost at Lake Merced.

Good luck,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Re: photos of Lesser Black-backed Gull and other notes 11/19/2018

Alvaro Jaramillo
 

I gather that the Farallons bird has been hypothesized to be the same bird
that was in San Mateo last spring. They both have a missing foot and from
what I have been told the age matches. I have not checked it out directly.
Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
alvaro@...
www.alvarosadventures.com

-----Original Message-----
From: SFBirds@groups.io <SFBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Pyle
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:53 PM
To: Dominik Mosur <@DMosur>
Cc: sfbirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] photos of Lesser Black-backed Gull and other notes
11/19/2018

Interestingly the first record of LBBG for SF County (I believe) was
recorded just a week ago on the Farallones:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49905257
The Ocean Beach bird is a year younger then the Farallon bird, so not the
same. Great find Jonah and Dominik,

Peter

At 05:05 PM 11/19/2018, Dominik Mosur wrote:
Here's a link to the checklist with the photos:

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50057251>https://ebird.org/view/chec
klist/S50057251


Additional sightings of note today included :

Snowy Plovers - 27 roosting on Ocean Beach

Say's Phoebes - 2 at Polo Fields, singles at Beach Chalet and Ocean
Beach north dunes

American Pipits - 15+ on Ocean Beach plus 1 over Beach Chalet, 4 at
Polo fields

Golden-crowned Kinglets - continue with flock in cypresses south side
of polo fields

PALM WARBLER - in dunes above Ocean Beach at Kirkham

Western Meadowlarks - 3 in dunes on Ocean Beach

For what it's worth, I went back out this afternoon checking Ocean
Beach and Lake Merced at the Boathouse. No gulls roosting at the beach
but hundreds were circling overhead and settling to roost at Lake Merced.

Good luck,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Fort Mason Hooded Oriole and Palm Warbler

David Assmann
 

A PALM WARBLER was on the hillside west of the Fort Mason Community Garden this morning. The HOODED ORIOLE was present in the garden for the entire morning, mostly on the west side. A LINCOLN'S SPARROW popped up a few times, and a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW was foraging in the middle of the garden. There were WESTERN BLUEBIRDS near the Chapel and at the end of the cul-de-sac. On the hillside north of the Battery, a SPOTTED TOWHEE and a VARIED THRUSH added some variety. One of the NORTHERN FLICKERS in the garden was an intergrade.

Continuing Lesser Black-backed Gull at Ocean Beach (22 Nov)

Ken Schneider
 

Seen by multiple observers about 5 minutes ago (0955) at Noriega and Ocean Beach.  Not in view right now,  may have flushed. 

Good birding  
Ken Schneider 
Noe Valley