Both coasts of SF, 08/25/07

Paul Saraceni

Mark Eaton and I birded multiple locations in SF this morning thru mid-afternoon, including visits to see both of the continuing rare shorebirds, seawatching, and a bit of passerine migration.

Observations of local interest (in order of stops):

s. end of Ocean Beach:
Common Loon 7 (basic plumage; on the water)
Pacific Loon 1 (basic plumage; on the water)
Surf Scoter 15+
Red-necked Phalarope 5
PARASITIC JAEGER 9 (including 6 together at one time harrassing Elegant Terns)
Pigeon Guillemot 7 (including 3 juvs.)
Common Murre 10+ (including several juvs.)
MARBLED MURRELET 1 (flying N and on water)
Belted Kingfisher 1 m. (flying N high over ocean)
Harbor Porpoise 1
Bottle-nosed Dolphin 2

Lobos Dunes:
Warbling Vireo 4
Bewick's Wren 5 (groups of 2 & 3)
Warblers:
Yellow 6
Townsend's 1
Wilson's 3
Bl.-head. Grosbeak 1 m.

Kobbe/Upton:
Willow Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo 1
W. Tanager 2

Crissy Lagoon:
Semipalmated Plover 2
Long-billed Curlew 1
W. Sandpiper 7
Least Sandpiper 10+
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER 1 (in SW portion of Lagoon)
Red-necked Phalarope 2

Heron's Head Park:
Turkey Vulture 1
Am. Kestrel 1 f.
Black Oystercatcher 11
Bl.-bel. Plover 30+
Semipalmated Plover 3
Long-billed Curlew 1
Whimbrel 1
Greater Yellowlegs 3
Marbled Godwit 1
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Least Sandpiper 40+
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER 1 (N shore, western portion while we viewed)
Red-necked Phalarope 1
Elegant Tern 1

India Basin Open Space:
Am. Kestrel 1 m.
W. Kingbird 1 (appeared to be juv.; rested on rock near the water for several minutes)

Double Rock:
Greater Scaup 1 (appeared to have an injured wing)
Black Oystercatcher 1
Bl.-bel. Plover 5+
Black Turnstone 1

Candlestick Basin:
Surf Scoter 2
Elegant Tern 2

L. Merced concrete bridge:
Turkey Vulture 4
Green Heron 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Red-necked Phalarope 15+
Eur. Collared-Dove 2

Also, Odonates observed:
Pacific Forktail 2
Com. Green Darner 1
Variegated Meadowhawk 1
Flame Skimmer 1

Finally, very disconcerting was an aparent oil leak/spill at India Basin. There was a strong smell of diesel fuel in the air and what appeared to be a slick on the water extending from the area of the boatyard in India Basin out past the open space shoreline. The tidal-influenced pools at the open space also had an oily sheen.

Paul Saraceni