Cliff House, SF, 06/04/07

Paul Saraceni

I spent an hour scoping from the Cliff House terrrace this morning (7:30-8:30). Couldn't turn up any of the fine alcids that are presently visiting coastal counties to the north and south of SF, but there was a very impressive showing by Common Murres. I kept a running count during the hour and ended up with 3700+ when I had to depart. Nearly all of the Murres were flying south, flying in from due north or the northeast (perhaps the GG Channel), including many flocks ranging in size from 10 - 120+ Murres/flock.

Other observations of local interest:

Canada Goose 13 (1 flock flying N over the Ocean, ~1/4 mi. out)
Surf Scoter 5
Red-thr. Loon 1 (on the Ocean; alt. plumage)
Pacific Loon 5
Brown Pelican 150+
Black Oystercatcher 2
Heermann's Gull 10+