Wrentit at Presidio Coastal Bluffs

kleinhea

This morning I heard the accelerating call of a male Wrentit
repeatedly in the dense willow thicket of the coastal bluffs north
of Battery Crosby. At one point this call was distant while at the
same time I heard a racheting "tttttt" call nearby. I could not be
positive that this was another Wrentit; when I went down into the
bushes to try to call it out, I did find a Winter Wren which may
have been making the noise, but this didn't sound like a common
Winter Wren call at least.

Trails Forever and the Parks Conservancy are cutting a new trail
between Battery Godfrey and Battery Crosby that will skirt around
the western edge of this large willow riparian patch. This will be
a mixed blessing; this area is already bisected by numerous
unofficial trails and hopefully a real trail will diminish the use
of these and the disturbance and garbage they cause. This will also
be a great birding trail, with habitat for migrants, and good
overlooks at the rocky shores and ocean. At the same time, the
trail construction and the new crowds that it brings to this unique
area could disturb the less common nesting birds there.

Also observed:
Swainson's Thrush
Wilson's Warblers
American Goldfinches (probably nesting)
Winter Wren (incl. fledgling)
American Robin
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Bushtit (probably nesting)
White-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow (incl. fledgling)
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Scrub Jay
Common Raven
Red-tailed Hawk (dark juvenile)

On the beach:
Wandering Tattler
Willet

On the rocks and over the ocean:
Brown Pelicans
Brandt's Cormorants
Pelagic Cormorants
Surf Scoter
Western Gulls (some seemed to be carrying seaweed or something)
Caspian Terns

Andy Kleinhesselink