Rhino

fogeggs

In my search for rare alcids today, I turned up a first year Rhinoceros
Auklet just beyond the surf line at the last parking lot south of Sloat Blvd. I
don't recall seeing this plumage before, and spent a moment trying to make it
something else, but the flanks were too dark and the beak not thick enough.
It sailed northward parallel to shore for awhile before slowly swimming back
out to sea around 10 am. Many loons, corms, murres and guillemots continue to
congregate here, but I ran off to Moss Beach looking for a certain someone,
and found instead out-of-area Brant, Sooty Shearwater, and alternate plumaged
Ancient Murrelet, before returning in time to see the Rhino. Still no HOPU for
our shallow waters.

Brian Fitch

See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.