Re: parakeets (white-winged & yellow-chevroned)

Alvaro Jaramillo

Folks

I don't know the details of the San Francisco population, but hasn't there
been a gradual change in the "Canary-winged Parakeet" populations in various
established populations in North America? I think that early on (70's - 80s)
the predominant species was the White-winged Parakeet, but more recently
Yellow-chevroned has become more common in the same North American
populations. Maybe I got the species backwards, but there has been a gradual
change in abundance between the two. Before the 90s the two had not been
split yet, so all were called Canary-winged. The reason for the population
change is that wild harvest for the pet trade shifted from a more northern
(Amazonian Brazil = White-winged) to southern (Southern Brazil to Argentina
= Yellow-chevroned) populations during that period. If this is the case, and
established North American populations have shifted from one taxon to the
other over time, it suggests that the changes have been caused by new
escapees into the population, they are likely not self sustaining. I am
going on memory here, so surely some of these details are wrong. Kimball
Garrett I the guy to ask about these established parakeet populations. In
any case, even seemingly well established populations may not be self
sustaining.

Cheers

chucao@...
Half Moon Bay, CA