Re: Native birds and native trees

Alvaro Jaramillo

Nathaniel et al.

I always wonder what the coast here in Half Moon Bay was naturally, and I
am still wondering. If anyone knows of any good sources on the Internet or
on paper summarizing what the habitats were like in SF and the Peninsula
historically, I would like to know about them. Now my big guess is that in
the sand dune habitats of SF, there must have been some pines. I mean pines
are the quintessential sand species, largely because they can take it while
most other trees can't. I wonder if there were stands of Bishop or Monterey
Pine in and around these sand areas or at least in acidic soil/sandy areas
at the edge of the dunes?? Any ideas?

Just a quick note on disturbance and bluebirds. I used to work on a project
in Canada where we routinely banded, measured, weighed, Eastern Bluebirds in
their boxes. This was to look at the effects of contaminants on the birds,
and they were unfazed by our work. Surely a bunch of birders at a distance
is less bothersome to the birds than biologists looking into their nests
every few days. I don't recall any nest failures or abandonment due to our
work. Cavity nesters know they got it pretty good and safe, that is why so
many of them are so loud!

Cheers

Al

Alvaro Jaramillo