Re: Breeding Northern Flickers + Long-tailed Weasel

j3m4f5

No wesael but I’m on the auklet now.

On May 20, 2022, at 11:12 AM, Keith Maley <keith.maley@...> wrote:

After a quiet morning for migrants (and birds generally) in Golden Gate Park, Nina and I headed over to Fort Miley west where we observed a continuing pair of Northern Flickers, and one youngster in a nest cavity of a dead pine. These birds were seen excavating the cavity on 3/20. I'm not sure how regularly flickers breed in the city. A pair of Hairy Woodpeckers were feeding young in a similar cavity just a few feet away. A Great Horned Owl was looking down on all the commotion.

While hoping for an early return of the Parakeet Auklet at Hermit Rock, a Long-tailed Weasel (!) ran a few feet in front of the viewing platform, just before 9 am.