Sutro Watches

Brian Fitch

My last three seawatches have been pretty quiet, despite some good movement south of us, where they have deep water right off the coast.

Pacific Loons have dropped in numbers, while a handful of Red-necked Phalaropes and a few flocks of Bonaparte’s Gulls have been northbound.  On the 5th, a Spotted Sandpiper was on the rocks below me, unusual for this site, and today a Red-necked Grebe was living up to its name in full alternate glory.  There have been many Common Murres, but they’re meandering in every direction in small groups or singly, with no visible northern migration.

The main highlight has been the presence of Gray and Humpback Whales, with a mother and calf Gray right off the terrace on Monday.
Brian Fitch