Re: Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden

Bob Toleno

Correction: the bird was on the border of the Succulent Garden and Redwood Grove, not the "nectar garden" as i said.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM Bob Toleno via groups.io <bob=toleno.com@groups.io> wrote:
Aaron Maizlish found a Red-naped Sapsucker in the Botanical Garden today at around 11:30am that appears to be a different individual than the male that Alan Hopkins found in the Fragrance Garden. This bird appears to be an adult female, though it lacks the white chin that most female RNSA show. (I'm not 100% sure of the sex, though, and would be happy to be corrected.) He spotted this bird in a tree with extensive sap wells on the border between the nectar garden and the redwood grove, approximately here: 37.767046, -122.472229

Aaron's bird has a number of characters that are different than the Fragrance Garden bird, including a thinner white supercilium, a small vertical row of white spots to the left of the parallel rows of whitish bars on the back, and a narrower red throat patch. Our (poor) photos and write-ups can be found in our eBird reports:

Good birding,
Bob Toleno
Hayward