Re: Phainopepla at Fort Mason

Betty Sin

I saw this bird at the Botanical Garden (Children Area) on Wed.  is that it ?

Sent from Mail for Windows

From: Adam Winer
Sent: Sunday, September 5, 2021 2:40 PM
To: Adam Winer
Cc: David_Assmann; SF Birds
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at Fort Mason

Pointed out by Rudyard Wallen - this must be an immature female or there wouldn't be white edging to the fresh wing feather.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021, 14:15 Adam Winer via groups.io <awiner=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Any observers have thoughts about the sex of this bird (and why)?

It seemed to clearly be an immature (as one would expect) - pale base to the bill, eye brownish red (not the typical intense red of an adult).

But male or female?  There's some fresh and darker feathers coming in on the coverts, mantle, and head - so a male?  Some of my photos, for those who didn't see this bird in person.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 9:10 AM David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

West side of Community Garden