Wagtail subspecies/age/sex

Peter Pyle

Hi all -

I've been asked by several of you about the subspecies/age/sex of the wagtail present yesterday in Quartermaster Reach. I had designated it an adult female lugens ("Black-backed Wagtail," a separate species until 2005). Based on further research and analysis (especially of the flight-shot taken by Joachim) I still think lugens is the best designation but have dropped back to age/sex unknown as first-spring male may not be eliminated.

I have added some more discussion on this to my eBird checklist from yesterday
https://ebird.org/checklist/S88221046

White Wagtail is a challenging (=fun) species to identify to subspecies, age, and sex. Great bird, in any case.

Cheers, Peter