B Vista & Corona

Brian Fitch

During a neighborhood walk this morning, we found a Warbling Vireo and a pair of Black-headed Grosbeaks at Corona Heights, and multiple Warbling Vireos, Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, and Wilson's Warblers, and a Bullock's Oriole in Buena Vista; all were singing.  We also had a number of wintering birds still enjoying the cold temps, with Golden-crowned, White-throated and Lincoln's Sparrows in a single flock on BV.  White-throated Swifts and Violet-green Swallows were twittering overhead.

We spent the last nine days camping in the southern deserts, where we had unprecedented (for us) numbers of migrating birds.  I don't know when they'll reach us, or whether they'll be blown over to Mt Diablo by the intense fog winds, but at least they are out there moving north.

Brian Fitch